Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Mt Bealey access

Hi I’m heading up Mt. Bealey for s bit of change of scenery this week for a overnighter.Planing to take the track up behind the village and side round to the top of Halpin basin.
    Has anyone been there? Are there other tracks closer to Klondyke corner that are more suited to hunters?
    Or am I better to climb up from the waimakariri side?
    I don’t want to exhaust myself doing it the hard way ( but no doubt I will anyway) I’m keen to get a chamois for eating. I’m not after a big pair of hooks. Any knowledge would be appreciated. Message me if you wish.

Link
    Haven't been up the tops there mate but saw a chopper working that area pretty hard Mid December last year. Unsure if it had a lasting impact but it was certainly hauling out multiple loads of animals from what I saw

Link
    That was viewed from the waimakariri river flats. Working both sets of tops, North and South

That’s probably the best way up there, just carry your rifle unloaded until you get up there, remember you have as much right as the hikers, that chopper was probably doing deer not chammy
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    That’s probably the best way up there, just carry your rifle unloaded until you get up there, remember you have as much right as the hikers, that chopper was probably doing deer not chammy
    Yeah, I've never seen chamois hanging off a chopper. So I was hopping there should be some there. I've got enough venison at the moment.
    I don't mind using a public track but if theres another track to a good spot I'd give it ago.

You should bump in to something going up as you planned. spend lots of time on your butt glassing all the high tussock country and little basins

Very nice easy tussock up there. I once camped just above the Bush line and shot a hind in the morning as the mist lifted.

It always best to do your climbing on a good track.

No there is no easier way to get up there. I did once drop down to the road in the vicinity of halpin creek but wouldn't recommend going up that way.

I have also gone up the spur from the confluence of the crow and waimak which is straightforward but of course more walking.