Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree32Likes
  • 12 Post By 7mm Rem Mag
  • 1 Post By R93
  • 3 Post By northdude
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 3 Post By 7mm Rem Mag
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By 2Quack
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Rushy
  • 1 Post By WhistlingWings
  • 5 Post By 7mm Rem Mag

Thread: My first fellow deer hunt

My first fellow deer hunt

A couple of guys from work asked me if I would like to go shooting with them hunting fellow deer, I couldn't say no as I have never hunted fellow deer before. I got up at 7.30 am yesterday and got ready to go, the guy picking me up didn't arrive until 11.30 am and I was starting to think he wasn't coming. He had his son with him and it was his sons 21st birthday, we drove off to the country to pick up the other guy and then we headed to spot X. We drove onto what looked like normal farm land, went through a couple of gates and pulled up to a hut with a bit of bush out back. Once we got all our sleeping bags put on the bunks and all our other gear sorted we sat down on the couch outside and had a yarn. After a while I said what time do we go hunting as they didn't seem in any hurry to move however they said it's probably a bit early but we might as well make a start. Father and son went one way and me and the other fella went another, we climbed over 2 fences walk a couple of hundred meters and the guy said to me you can stay here and take this spot and I'll walk just over the gully another couple of hundred meters and sit there. I sat down and looked at the terrain and thought to myself what the hell sort of hunting spot is this? There was some old broom, some gorse, a bit of manuka and some thick bush lawyer type crap down one face and up the other and it was just on the side of a farmers paddock. I threw my pack on top of a gorse bush, set the video camera up and sat in wait with no real confidence. I watch father and son walk out of site over the top of the hill, shortly after a mob of around 10 fellow deer came running around the side of the hill and seemed to disappear into the little cover on offer in the gully I was watching over. I got the bino's out and scanned the area time and time again but failed to locate the little buggers. I kept hearing some noise like twigs breaking over to the right on the opposite face so I decided to take a look, it was hard to see because I was looking into the sun however I noticed 2 deer grazing happily (Hind and spiker). I started the video camera, I ranged the deer at 205 meters, lay the riffle over the pack, got the spiker in my sights and slowly squeezed the trigger. The spiker tumbled over and it was game over, I watched the hind run off and I was feeling pretty happy with myself enjoying the moment. I checked the video camera and it was not recording (bugger) as it turned out the recorder was playing up, I had pushed record but it turned itself off. I used a round tree as a land mark and headed off to where I shot the spiker, shit once in the thick of the bush it was so hard to even see the tree I was using as a reference and it must have taken me 45 minutes to find the deer. I turned the deer into a pack and threw it on my back with my pack on my front, I didn't fancy heading back through the crap to which I had just come so thought I would take a few more steps up the hill through a tiny bit of gorse and there was the main track just in front of me. Another 200 meters and I was back at the hut (easy as that) I then heard one of the other guys fire and shortly after the other guys son let rip. I didn't have to wait long before everyone was back at the hut and as you can see by the photo's 3 deer hanging from the tree. I managed to get the video recorder going the next morning so was able to video a mob of around 30 wild deer, we watched them jumping one of the fences on a neighbouring farm but they didn't come our way. What a sweet wee spot! many thanks to the guys that took me

Name:  IMG_7385.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  383.3 KBName:  IMG_7389.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  979.6 KBName:  IMG_7395.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  1.03 MB
    Tahr, Scooby, R93 and 9 others like this.
    When hunting think safety first

R93
    Good shit. One of the best eating deer out there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

northdude
    Looks like a fallow
    Scooby, madmaori and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Well done.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Bugger my poor spelling again. Thanks guys yeah my bullet placement is getting better the more I shoot and confidence with the riffle is growing, I really like the riffle. These one shot kills are cheaper on ammo too
    Scouser, northdude and Boaraxa like this.

enjoy the venni,got to just love the easy ones......makes the tough retrieves seem all the more worthy and sure makes meat taste great.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Thanks Micky yeah I've had my share of hard retrieves with the reds and know exactly what you mean

Well done great trip, tasty tasty venny those fallow
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Excellent work sounds like a primo spot.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good work.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Looks like easy hunting, they are all hanging out of the trees like possums!

Awesome! great write up. I love eating fallow! So good!
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbootboy View Post
    Nice bullet placement Well done
    Actually it's funny you should say that, I thought I had great bullet placement until I saw where the other guys had shot theirs. One shot his deer through the back of the neck just behind the head and the other guy shot his through the head. I think some of the constructive criticism by some of the forum members after a couple of my earlier attempts has made me think so much more about where I am placing my shot now. Thanks to all you guys I feel I am a better hunter now since listening to all your advice and I have taken it all on board. It is a great feeling to knock over an animal and know it didn't suffer in any way, thanks again everyone.