Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree32Likes
  • 21 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Finnwolf
  • 3 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 2 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 2 Post By Allizdog
  • 1 Post By stagstalker

Thread: NEEDED A WALK

NEEDED A WALK

More so than getting a deer , so got out of bed and headed away in the dark... got to block on first light,spotted tail lights up hill at track end...drove along bottom of hill and spotted another ute so back tracked to start of block to hunt other side of main creek hopefully well away from others.
    I was wearing flouro gear so looked like nuclear blasted smurf.....
    encountered first wasps nest 50 yards from car....2nd one 100 yards further on,3rd another 200 yards past that and that one was 8feet off ground in a small hole in tree....
    wasnt feeling flash at all...droggy,tired,generaly just not right....but with price of gas was determined to give it a plurry good effort so sucked it up and carried on. stopped on top of first wee ridge and sat on dry log ,had drink and food.... carried on feeling a little better,cant really put finger on what was wrong but felt better an hour later.
    dropped into main creek and boulder hopped upstream past numerous log jams,the big slip from last year has come down again,nobody home there but I sat and had another bite to eat,carried on upstream hoping it would open up a bit but it just got shittier,so put big boy pant on and started climbing up out of crap...and it was crap... and steep.
    made it up to my usual ridge route and checked out first clearing..nobody home and little sign. sat and had lunch..Meg was smoochier than usual,she must have known I wasnt feeling the best. caried on a bit and poked tiny twig into right eyeball.... too kages to get blurryness to piss off. was rather worried as made it hard to line up sights..... when it settled we carried on over spur to 2nd clearing...and up pops a fawn 30 yards away and was gone before I could get bead on it...it was FAST.....very darn fast.another second and hammer wouldve dropped but no dice...and no mates with it?????
    we carried on up over ridge hoping to meet fawn again or its mates but 2hours intense stalking saw nothing else seen.I decided to climb back up rather than drop down like normal...holy smoke the bush was thick...that knob is a Godforsaken hell hole..lawyer vines everywhere,mikimiki scrubs between the fallen beech logs...was fair rooted by time got up onto top and dropped back onto ridge route back out...had close encounter with hare in bush...thought about shooting it,actually pulled back hammer then decided not to spook area. stalked down to fenceline and plodded the 2kms back to car,lots of gorse and blackberry is taking over what used to be easy path alongside boundary fence AND dirty barstard hot arsed germanic mongrel wasp decided to shoot me in the back between shoulderblades..... made it back to wagon tired but feeling 300% better than was in the morning...
    so no animals harmed the onlt blood shed was my poor ripped up arms.
    no stags moaning in the bush,the ones on farm beside it were ho hum ...not full on yet at all.

get out and have a look fellas and fellesses,the day out in fresh air will do you world of good.
    Milky
    Tahr, veitnamcam, ANTSMAN and 18 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    More so than getting a deer , so got out of bed and headed away in the dark... got to block on first light,spotted tail lights up hill at track end...drove along bottom of hill and spotted another ute so back tracked to start of block to hunt other side of main creek hopefully well away from others.
    I was wearing flouro gear so looked like nuclear blasted smurf.....
    encountered first wasps nest 50 yards from car....2nd one 100 yards further on,3rd another 200 yards past that and that one was 8feet off ground in a small hole in tree....
    wasnt feeling flash at all...droggy,tired,generaly just not right....but with price of gas was determined to give it a plurry good effort so sucked it up and carried on. stopped on top of first wee ridge and sat on dry log ,had drink and food.... carried on feeling a little better,cant really put finger on what was wrong but felt better an hour later.
    dropped into main creek and boulder hopped upstream past numerous log jams,the big slip from last year has come down again,nobody home there but I sat and had another bite to eat,carried on upstream hoping it would open up a bit but it just got shittier,so put big boy pant on and started climbing up out of crap...and it was crap... and steep.
    made it up to my usual ridge route and checked out first clearing..nobody home and little sign. sat and had lunch..Meg was smoochier than usual,she must have known I wasnt feeling the best. caried on a bit and poked tiny twig into right eyeball.... too kages to get blurryness to piss off. was rather worried as made it hard to line up sights..... when it settled we carried on over spur to 2nd clearing...and up pops a fawn 30 yards away and was gone before I could get bead on it...it was FAST.....very darn fast.another second and hammer wouldve dropped but no dice...and no mates with it?????
    we carried on up over ridge hoping to meet fawn again or its mates but 2hours intense stalking saw nothing else seen.I decided to climb back up rather than drop down like normal...holy smoke the bush was thick...that knob is a Godforsaken hell hole..lawyer vines everywhere,mikimiki scrubs between the fallen beech logs...was fair rooted by time got up onto top and dropped back onto ridge route back out...had close encounter with hare in bush...thought about shooting it,actually pulled back hammer then decided not to spook area. stalked down to fenceline and plodded the 2kms back to car,lots of gorse and blackberry is taking over what used to be easy path alongside boundary fence AND dirty barstard hot arsed germanic mongrel wasp decided to shoot me in the back between shoulderblades..... made it back to wagon tired but feeling 300% better than was in the morning...
    so no animals harmed the onlt blood shed was my poor ripped up arms.
    no stags moaning in the bush,the ones on farm beside it were ho hum ...not full on yet at all.

get out and have a look fellas and fellesses,the day out in fresh air will do you world of good.
    Milky
    The sort of day we’ve all had at some stage MD!

‘Taking the rifle for a walk’ is what it is.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Still beats a day at work hands down
    timattalon, Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Thanks for that! Blurry gooder!!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Still beats a day at work hands down
    And that is exactly why I wasn't ambling along behind Micky today. (think of the money, think of the money, think of the money) dammit it's not working, still wish I could've come along.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

You sometimes get shit days like that but it's still nice being out there.
    Micky Duck likes this.

At least you seen something. A bit of fresh air and exercise does wonders.
    Speaking for myself, often there are no animals sighted.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 27-03-2022 at 05:04 PM.
    trooper90 and Micky Duck like this.

One of those days. Better then being at home but some relief knowing the next hunt should be better!
    Micky Duck likes this.