Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree36Likes
  • 24 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By trooper90
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Huk
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By kukuwai
  • 2 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By superdiver
  • 1 Post By Spitfire

Thread: New experience.

New experience.

A little while ago I decided I had spent enough time shooting arrows at targets and it was time to take the bow out in search of some game. The first few walks I did were very local and more to get used to carrying and shooting it in the bush than having any expectation of actually seeing game to shoot at. The freezer was full so there was no pressure to shoot anything and I wouldn't be too disappointed if I missed out on an animal (or so I thought).
    I killed a few stumps and the odd mossy mound and learnt what to use as target practice and what not to shoot at. My judgement of distance seemed to be getting better and I became fairly confident that if I saw an animal striking a suitable pose at 30 yards or less it would be in trouble.
    My first "serious" walk was planned and I set off at 10:00am towards the tops to hunt the bush edge. The weather forecast was a bit sketchy and I was fully prepared to be heading home in an hour or so with a wet arse but as it was no rain came and it was a warm climb up to the tussock. The route I took to the bushline I have walked dozens of times but it never ceases to amaze me how it always seems steeper than the last time. The sheltered calm I had been climbing through disappeared once I reached the tussock slopes and another couple of layers of clothing were needed as a strong easterly soon cooled me down after the exertion of the climb.
    I slowly made my way along the bush edge looking for any obvious sign but only saw the odd hoof print in the clay. I wasn't that confident of seeing anything out thinking the wind would probably put any animal down into the shelter of the thick bush.
    I had been going for about 20 minutes when I saw what looked like ears sticking up above the tussock 100 odd meters distant. A quick check with the binos confirmed they were indeed ears and attached to a large Red hind. She was looking in my direction but obviously hadn't seen me as she soon resumed feeding. Excellent. I ducked down and began to hatch a plan. She was about 30m out from the bush edge and the wind was at 90 degrees to us. I could drop into the bush and close the gap to maybe 50m and then wait and see what happened.
    Name:  P1020440 (2).JPG
Views: 609
Size:  2.73 MB
    Hind at 62 yards. Easy meat for the rifle.

As I moved closer I saw she had a fawn with her. Bugger, two sets of eyes to watch out for. They were booth very nervy, their heads constantly popping up and looking around, noses and ears twitching. I put it down to the wind as I was sure they were unaware of my presence.
    I made it to the closest piece of bush the wind would allow and then settled in to wait and see what they did. I had just slipped my pack off and got a photo of the hind when they both started moving towards the bush edge. I quickly moved around towards them as far as I dared and readied myself for a shot if it presented itself.
    I could catch glimpses of them through the trees and it looked like I might be in luck as they were heading for an open patch about 25m away. I got steady and drew the bow, settling the sights on the opening I expected them to come through. The wind would be quatering my shot and the deer near broadside. The hind appeared in the gap and the sight picture looked good. I released the arrow.
    At this point a number of things happened very quickly. Firstly there was the usual "twang" of the string, then there was a very wooden sounding "ting" and then the deer ran off in the opposite direction. I relaxed as my heart rate began to come down to a normal level.
    What just happened? The shot had felt good. Sight picture was perfect and release seem good. I ranged the target and had only been a couple of meters out in my estimate. I wasn't worried about the deer making their escape as I wouldn't expect it to drop on the spot but the noise I heard after the shot didn't sound like arrow hitting flesh? (not that I actually know what that sound like yet). After a few minutes I went back and collected my pack and then returned to the place I had taken the shot from. I let another 10 minutes pass and then walked towards where the hind had been when I released the arrow. As I got closer I could see my arrow lying on the ground about 5m short of where the deer had been??? WTF??? I picked it up and apart from some dirt on the broadhead it looked fine.
    I retraced my steps to where I had shot from and had another look at my line of fire. In my excitement I had not seen a couple of spindly coprosma between me and the target. I was so focused on the deer I had looked straight past them. Bugger.
    Name:  P1020441.JPG
Views: 613
Size:  8.95 MB
    I had a quick stalk into the bush hoping the deer hadn't gone to far but didn't come across them again. The wind was howling and that was enough to send me on my way home dejected. Even though it had been an exhilarating stalk I couldn't help feel disappointed. On the bright side, no deer were harmed in the making of this story and I learnt a valuable lesson about bow hunting. And there is always next time.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Good stalk and photos
    Shearer likes this.

neat photo...trophy on its own....this stick n string thing does have some appeal.....not sure about the patience to manage it myself.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    neat photo...trophy on its own....this stick n string thing does have some appeal.....not sure about the patience to manage it myself.
    Haha. I had been wondering that myself. Personally I have found that once the freezer is full I wanted an extra challenge apart from just the kill. I (almost) always enjoy being out there and take a lot of photos of game I am not going to shoot but I think the bow is going to be next level again. My biggest fear is not killing an animal cleanly which, with a bow, is a lot more likely than with a rifle.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

man...you have that mindset.....THAT right there in itself tells me you are a lot less likely to let it happen than could be the case...you give a shit.
    watching one of the bigger TV shows they shot 3 thar in one episode and retrieved 1...put me off the show.
    Im sure when you do let an arrow go in future you will be close enough to be certain it will hit....small branches not in way this time.
    Shearer and Mangle like this.

Huk
    Good on you @Shearer stick to it you nearly had your 1st.I had a play with the bow quite a few years ago gave it away after wounding a few decided it wasnt me. good luck with it
    Shearer likes this.

Great stalk and it almost all came together, all part of the learning curve but I am sure you will triumph sooner or later.
    Shearer likes this.

Good yarn mate, exactly what we need right now.

You must be enjoying getting to know that area up there well and I'm am sure that you will achieve your goals once we can get out and about again.

Its great to see you have move on from chickens although i seem to remember none of them were harmed either

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Shearer likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

I tried hunting with a bow back in the mid-90’s. Managed to get a deer, a few goats, the odd rabbits and a few fish. Enjoyed it, but losing arrows was a bit expensive for a poor student.
    Shearer and Mooseman like this.

My last 3 bow trips I have come so close including a red spooking to arrow let off at 28yds. She was already a little wary as she had seen me from about 150 but I was in camo and had the wind in my favor so probably why she didn't run off then. I was told if you want meat take the rifle if you are happy getting close to animals without necessarily getting a shot away take the bow. I have to say stalking has improved alot because I am getting ALOT closer to animals
    Shearer likes this.

Well done mate. It’s much, much more difficult than with a rifle, and therefore more rewarding when it all comes together.
    Shearer likes this.