Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New to goat hunting BOP

New to goat hunting BOP

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone out there is keen to give me some advice for where to hunt goats. I'm based in Katikati Bay of Plenty. Or if you know someone with a property that wants to get rid of them/food for their dogs. Been goat shooting once and really enjoyed it, so I've upgraded the .22 to a 7.62x39.

Thanks any advice would be much appreciated.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about goat sightings up the Waitawheta Valley. Edit: here it is - http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...kaimais-20658/

Seen some vicinity of Crosbies Hut up the back of Thames, and several other places up the Thames coast. Others on this forum live up that way and may be willing/able to provide further details...

I approached the Hauraki DOC Office, also based in Thames, seeking goat intel, and they weren't very forthcoming. Basically said "we've got professional contractors taking care of our Coromandel blocks".

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stretch; 16-06-2015 at 02:40 PM.
    zane_waves likes this.

interesting might go for a look at out Dickey's flat and see if get any luck. And I've never thought Thames, I might plan it about first then make a trip out of it. Cant thank you enough for your advice it helps a lot.
    Sniper likes this.

Saw goats on the:

Bluff stream to waitangue hut tk
    Mangakino pack tk
    Cashmores to lindermans tk
    Waiora stream tk
    Upper waitawheta tk
    Waipapa tk

Sure there are lots in other places, but that's where I've seen goats over the last three weeks. Never fired a shot...so they're still there, go get um!

Kj
    mucko, Carpe Diem, stretch and 2 others like this.

thanks heaps man it helps me a lot!!!! Hope to head out this weekend after my boring exams....

All nearer the centre to top of the tracks, didn't see any close to the road end.

Shame you don't live in Hawkes Bay if you want to shoot goats as i saw close to 50 the other weekend in a forestry block just north of Napier.And that was just in a few hours.

damn I think I'll be in heaven there!!

Caught one today with my bare hands on the Kauri loop, off the wairongamai tk today. I had a female vegetarian with me, she freaked out...so I let it go. Made for a great debate on the way home, not sure who won that debate...but it was fun arguing my side.

Kj

how you manage that!! please tell me your secrete

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Caught one today with my bare hands on the Kauri loop, off the wairongamai tk today. I had a female vegetarian with me, she freaked out...so I let it go. Made for a great debate on the way home, not sure who won that debate...but it was fun arguing my side.

Kj
    That's gold! When I mentioned my latest goating success to colleagues, and one of them said "Ew! Why would you want to shoot a goat?!?", to which I replied "Because it's not only difficult, but also inhumane to eat them alive". Didn't go down too well...
    kimjon, big_foot, POME and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zane_waves View Post
    how you manage that!! please tell me your secrete
    I've always just been myself around girls, and strangely they find me attractive? But the first step is to not be shy and ask one out

Kj
    carlhurley, stretch and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    I've always just been myself around girls, and strangely they find me attractive? But the first step is to not be shy and ask one out

Kj
    Loving the words of wisdom keep it up!!

Get any action over the weekend @zane_waves? Goats or otherwise?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

well good new and bad new. I didn't end up going in the weekend but I did manage to go this morning. I headed up from Lindemann loop tk to Lindemann-Cashmore tk with no luck in goats. but as I was heading back down Wharawhara Tramway tk I came across some pigs (about 4-5 hard to tell) and here comes the bad news I'm a terrible shooter today.... thought I had he lined up nice, but I completely missed. So I'm eager to get back up there and get one of them properly. Just for some of you that may be interested the spot of where roughly they were.Name:  pig.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  471.2 KB