Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: New legal Garmin dog tracker

New legal Garmin dog tracker

Not sure if some of you guys have seen the news, 500 units coming for Hunting and fishing, other stores are doing it too

New Garmin Alpha 100/T5 Dog Tracking System
    gadgetman and WaikatoBushman like this.
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

They look good , the battery save mode for lost dogs will be the feature that stands out .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I would imagine you would be hard pressed to keep the price of the "other Garmins" at the current level?? Great stuff that they have finally listened. I know when i worked in a hunting shop we kept saying to the rep....nz needs these. the answer from garmin was NZ...where are they. Not a big enough market. Well i guess we are. Great stuff i say, good price for 2 collar unit too??
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

It has a few features that sound good. I have heard of guys using the tone and vibration mode to train the dogs to turn and return

The current prices of the other garmin are certainly up there , I'm sure those prices will drop so it's a win win both ways

Having a warranty and able to service easily has to be the biggest plus
    Munsey and HNTMAD like this.
    OPCz

These also comply to Aust, Canada, nearly all of Asia and also with the new(about to be announced) USA Radio Spectrum that the Astro system with be not be able to be used in. So yes, the NZ market wouldn't be big enough alone.

These were no developed specifically for NZ.

Also, glad to see the collars are water resistance to 10m, I'm getting sick of stuffed collars when my dog swims to the bottom of the lake to catch a rock!
    Last edited by Uplandstalker; 06-08-2014 at 02:16 PM.

According the RSM, these are still prohibited in NZ(August 2013), From the RSM website:

Radiocommunications Regulations (Prohibited Equipment – Dog Tracking Devices) Notice 2013
    [small icon] Acrobat PDF. Available as Radiocommunications Regulations (Prohibited Equipment - Dog Tracking Devices) Notice 2013 [59 kB PDF]

Pursuant to Regulation 32(1)(a) and (i) of the Radiocommunications Regulations 2001, and acting under delegated authority from the chief executive, I give the following notice.

Notice
    1. Title and commencement -
    This notice is the Radiocommunications Regulations (Prohibited Equipment – Dog Tracking Devices) Notice 2013.
    This notice comes into force on 8 August 2013.

2. Interpretation -
    In this notice:

Dog-tracking devices means the radio apparatus described in the Schedule to this notice.

3. Prohibition -
    Dog-tracking devices are interfering equipment.
    Dog-tracking devices are declared to be prohibited equipment.
    The installation, use, sale, distribution, manufacture or importation of dog-tracking devices is prohibited.

4. Consequential revocation of notice -
    The Radiocommunications Regulations (Prohibited Equipment – Dog Tracking Devices) Notice 2012, dated the 20th day of February 2012 and published in the New Zealand Gazette, 23 February 2012, No. 20, page 474, is revoked.

Schedule
    Radio equipment or part thereof used for, or with the primary purpose of being used for, tracking or locating dogs or other animals that operate in the frequencies 151.820 MHz, 151.880 MHz, 151.940 MHz, 154.570 MHz and 154.600 MHz, including, but not limited to, the following makes and models operating within these frequencies:
    Garmin Astro 220 system
    Garmin Astro 320 system
    Garmin Alpha 100 system
    Garmin DC 20 collar
    Garmin DC 30 collar
    Garmin DC 40 collar
    Garmin TT 10 collar
    SportDOG TEK equipment

Dated at Auckland this 2nd day of August 2013.

CHRIS BRENNAN, Compliance Manager, Radio Spectrum Management, Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.

Explanatory Note
    This note is not part of the notice, but is intended to indicate its general effect.

This notice prescribes that, pursuant to Regulation-making powers of the Radiocommunications Act 1989, the installation, use, sale, distribution, manufacture or importation of interfering equipment or part thereof as prescribed in the notice, is prohibited. This notice comes into effect on 8 August 2013.
    go4981

Ok, so the US one has a part number of 010-01041-50 and Humping and Fisting are stating a part number 010-01041-54 for NZ. Therefore, I assume the -54 is not broadcasting on the 151-154MHz range, and is mostly to be in the Free to Air 900MHz range, or on one if the Free 450MHz(however you are not allowed to use this range continually).

Interesting.
    Agree. We are such a small cog in a big wheel!

The whole Astro- Dc collar range/ NZ is a big f up.

Local police know nothing about them being 'illegal' and local SAR know but couldn't care less. I know, I have one and use it on exercises. The astro that is.
    Hunting and fishing will be piddling in the pot now, thickening the already muddy waters that we have lived with now for years as illegal hunters.
    I hope this unit is as good or better, I hear it is, I know for me at least I couldn't live without my gear.
    Thanks for posting.
    Uplandstalker likes this.
    Dan M

I have bitten the bullet and put my name down on one, just need to go into town and put a deposit on it
    Munsey and Danny like this.
    OPCz

Full report when you receive it thanks moonhunt
    moonhunt and Danny like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Will do
    OPCz

Bad timing for that nz guys who just spent all that time and money decoding the old Astros and getting them legalised. This will under cut his market...but better for us as it's way cheaper

A mate has put his deposit down for a set.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I'd be a little wary about jumping into this new gear before others have tried it to start with.
    Yes it is a little cheaper than the current Garmin gear available through various importers, BUT.....and this is why I say you should hold on...
    This new gear runs on a free/public frequency. Anyone who has tried to use a marine VHF on a public chat channel will know that interference is a big problem. I'd be worried about this happening to the tracking gear by other users of the frequency.
    Secondly, I have heard they have dropped the output power down to half a watt. The current Astro 320 is running at 2 watts. If this is the case that would potentially mean the range of the unit is a quarter of the existing gear. This is a BIG issue where everyone is trying to get the most range possible.
    Thirdly, the new gear will not be compatible with any of the exisiting gear out there. Basically you are starting from scratch, and if your mate stays with his old gear, you won't see his dogs and vice versa.
    Forthy, the near gear uses the Alpha 100 touch screen units. They have been around for 2 years now and very few people ever upgraded to them as there were reports the touch screen was difficult to operate when wet or you had blood on your hands. Also that the battery life of the unit didn't last as long as the screen is larger etc.
    Fifthly (is that a word?), they are incorporating the new T5 collars. It is a shame they chose these instead of the TT10's or the newer TT15's as the T5's have no shock function which was the real attraction of the Alpha system. So I feel many people would have been getting excited thinking they may be getting shock ones. :-(

There may be other issues, but these are really enough for me to want to sit back and see how they really work.
    It is surprising that H&F are asking people for pre-orders and deposits....not much faith in their product if they have to do this.
    Bryan, mikee and Uplandstalker like this.