Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New vs old model 7

New vs old model 7

Hey gang, just looking at a couple of model 7's. There's an older one, second hand, both are s/s. One in 7mm08 or a brand new one in 308. I've heard that the new ones aren't as good a quality??? I don't really know. I've been after one for a while and love the feel of them, but yeah, any help would be great, especially if you've got one! Cheers

Ive got an older 308, shoots anything i feed it really well. Very handy little rifle, it will stay with me a long time unless i get sako fever or something silly
    It has a laminate stock atm but is with Stug now getting a carbon fibre stock fitted

Thanks Gibo, Heard anything funny about the new ones?

Nah mate other than the stock being a bit better (bit more rigid).

Have the early model in .243, original stock, 17" barrel with DPT lightweight overbarrel. Accurate with 85 Barnes and 87 Hornady, never tried anything else.

GWH
    I have several mod 7's. Mostly older ones. Got a real early wood blue 243 for dad, it's a real shooter. I've got a 260 Rem, 7mm08 and 7mm Saum all older models in stainless synthetic. All shoot well.

Also have the new model S/S in 223 which is unreal accurate. .5 moa or less at 400 yards.

However I know another bloke who had another new 223 the same and he sold it cheap after he'd tried everything to get it to shoot. But I guess there can always be a dud with anything eh.

I won't be parting with my mod 7's any time soon.
    Gibo likes this.

The more modern model 7 should have a pretty well made receiver ( I mean closer to the original blue print) as Remington have improved their receiver production in the last few years. As to the barrels, there is the good, the bad and the ugly. I own 3 and one had its barrel replaced by its precedent owner and now shoots very well.

The older synthetic stock models have very heavy stocks for what they are - very easy to save weight here.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    The older synthetic stock models have very heavy stocks for what they are - very easy to save weight here.
    Yeah they sure do for the size of them. The older stock is over 1100 grams from memory, and my stug stock was about 511 grams iirc.

Thanks for that. It's kinda what I'm afraid of, shelling out then finding its a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by Waterpig View Post
    Thanks for that. It's kinda what I'm afraid of, shelling out then finding its a pig!
    They are awesome rifles - check out this thread devoted to the Model 7:
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...ur-life-23672/

You're welcome.

I also fondled a kimber while I was there, that felt very very nice in hand.......just to put the cat amongst the pigeons.......

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterpig View Post
    As long as you buy well 2nd hand, if it's not a shooter you'll likely get your money back on resale
    25/08IMP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    They are awesome rifles - check out this thread devoted to the Model 7:
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...ur-life-23672/

You're welcome.
    Thanks, frothing now!

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    As long as you buy well 2nd hand, if it's not a shooter you'll likely get your money back on resale
    What would you do?