Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ngamoko hut walking time?

Ngamoko hut walking time?

Hi everyone,

fairly new to this forum and am after a bit of help.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how long it takes to get to ngamoko hut from the mid po carpark area? I've done a bit of googling etc and reports on the time it takes to get into mid po itself vary from anywhere between 3 and 6 hours, so am unsure as to how long the mission to ngamoko will actually take. Was looking at doing a bit of an armed tramp in there this weekend.

any info appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how long it takes to get to ngamoko hut from the mid po carpark area? I've done a bit of googling etc and reports on the time it takes to get into mid po itself vary from anywhere between 3 and 6 hours, so am unsure as to how long the mission to ngamoko will actually take. Was looking at doing a bit of an armed tramp in there this weekend.

any info appreciated.
    @hebe did you ever find out or do the walk? I’m interested myself. My cousin did the maintenance work recently but he flew in.

@hebe first thing I’d check with DOC is that you can get up the river to mid po. The previous owner only let a select group of people though his property.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    @hebe first thing I’d check with DOC is that you can get up the river to mid po. The previous owner only let a select group of people though his property.
    And now that land has changed ownership and I think it's harder or impossible to get in there.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Has it been sold now? I saw he had it for sale a while ago but he wanted way too much for it.

He was always pretty good with access i found, Although he did have a bit of trouble there with damage to machinery, poachers & even some of his livestock were shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Sika 8 View Post
    Has it been sold now? I saw he had it for sale a while ago but he wanted way too much for it.

He was always pretty good with access i found, Although he did have a bit of trouble there with damage to machinery, poachers & even some of his livestock were shot!
    From what I heard it changed in November but only part of it which is the main access

Yeah i saw it was on the market in 3 different titles, The main farm has so much potential but is pretty run down.

If either of the neighbors bought it i suspect access will open up again

From what I heard it was brought for hunting which is the main access block.

was sold a couple of months back.good luck getting access these days.

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Hi everyone,

any info appreciated.
    From the old access 5 hours to mid Po another 2 .5 to ngamoko

From memory there was a track into mid po from the east side thru a low saddle. Not much else that I can remember about it. Also a track in from the Ridge road that goes up to the main range.

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    @hebe did you ever find out or do the walk? I’m interested myself. My cousin did the maintenance work recently but he flew in.
    I abandoned the idea via mid po as like you heard the mid po access was shut thanks to people shooting stock. And honestly, fair enough, anyone would have done the same.

Ngamoko is definitely still on my to do list and heard its around 7 hrs via cattle creek. Dont quote me on that though.
    McNotty likes this.

We’re going to go up Shorts track and down the range. Don’t know how long it’ll take.

Anyone else done it that way?
    BRADS and Nickoli like this.

Do it! Imagine the deer you’d see in there.

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    We’re going to go up Shorts track and down the range. Don’t know how long it’ll take.

Anyone else done it that way?
    yeah i recon shorts track is the way to go , i've been up shorts track years ago but not down the range to the Ngamoko turn off, but think its fairly straightforward.
    Cattle creek via mid po would be ok as well but bit longer travel time