Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: No lpg bottles on choppers

No lpg bottles on choppers

I have heard a few rumors that helicopters are no longer allowed to carry lpg bottles anymore . can anyone confirm this ?
    would be good to know as if that is your only source of cooking you will need to take an alternative. sounds like the small butane and white spirits ones are still ok.

Heard of a group flying into the Boyd Hut with Helisika a couple of weeks ago had to leave theirs behind.
    As you said the small butane were ok

Not really surprised if that is the case now.
    A long time back we sometimes took the float plane across to our blocks on Stewart Island,they were a tad touchy then about any gas bottles on board the plane.
    Can gas bottles rupture at certain heights? anyone know?

Would be a go rumour to get confirmed... Will change the plans for many a hunting party
    ANOTHERHUNTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANOTHERHUNTER View Post
    I have heard a few rumors that helicopters are no longer allowed to carry lpg bottles anymore . can anyone confirm this ?
    would be good to know as if that is your only source of cooking you will need to take an alternative. sounds like the small butane and white spirits ones are still ok.
    Ring the outfit your flying with, get it from the "horses mouth"

LPG is a mix of propane and butane, its relatively a low pressure containment gas and the average container should not be an issue unless you get to extreme high altitude (way higher than a chopper) where atmospheric pressure is so low the vessel may rupture.
    the main issue is that if a bottle does leak it tends to "sit" in confined spaces unlike natural gas which is lighter and expands to fill the volume.
    so if you tied your bottle to the heli's skids you have eliminated that risk

Seems like it..
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 10.21.17 AM.png
Views: 1185
Size:  139.6 KB

Cheers striker, that sums it up.... So 4 small cylinders for a group of 4 guys for 4 nights... I know I could use one in 4 nights easy especially when ou think you usually use a helicopter to gain elevation therefore colder.....

Guess it means a seperate trip just for gas and other gear

Never had a pilot check whats in my pack or chillybin...
    7mmsaum, GWH and chainsaw like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

the heights would be bloody extreme ! as altitude increase external pressure decreases. its like if you filled a helium balloon full and let it go then a few 1000 feet up it will expand till it ruptures. LPG cylinders are way tougher but the internal pressure at ground level is higher but theres 5 mm of steel and an over pressure valve fitted. seems a lot of bollocks to me but guess its up to the heli owner and hope its not more govt intervention

DOC are really against fires.
    Went to the Mangatutu Hot Springs at Labour Weekend.
    Already to try out my Bakewell Burner.
    Signs everywhere "No Fires".
    DOCs "Ranger Dan" in residence to police.
    The camp site used to have wood burning fireplaces.
    Yet if I went up the road 400m no issue.
    I had even taken my own wood even though there is heaps standing dead manuka to burn.
    Didn't take my weber bbq would have been interesting how that would been looked at.
    I think they need to review their policies as devices/equipment like the bakewell burner,themettes and these new Biofuel stoves should be encouraged.
    40mm and Cordite like this.

This new policy is going to piss a few groups off who like to take all the luxuries with them & lpg cookers to feast up on, hopefully operators can get an approval to carry them in external pods? Always someone in the ivory towers of Wellington trying to fark it up for us.
    chainsaw likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    This new policy is going to piss a few groups off who like to take all the luxuries with them & lpg cookers to feast up on, hopefully operators can get an approval to carry them in external pods? Always someone in the ivory towers of Wellington trying to fark it up for us.
    Aye, too true. We know only too well that the greenies dont want us "cunters" anywhere near their precious view of utopia (which is OUR public land). You might sit on a precious mountain daisy ffs.
    300CALMAN likes this.

Put them in a sling?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Has there every been a recorded incident? Or just in the minds of office dwellers!?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough