Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By DavidGunn
  • 1 Post By yeah_na_missed
  • 1 Post By DavidGunn

Thread: North Island December

North Island December

I would like advice regarding hunting in the North Island in December. I am not very experienced and looking for probably a private block for me and one or two teenagers. It is about the experience but I would really like to carry some meat out. Can anyone give me advice?

I think a lot of private blocks may have restrictions on what you can shoot in December due to babies dropping.
    But tis the season of the silly spiker, so look out for them if you go bush.

The Kaimai's can be productive for hunting deer over the summer months as many people head for the coast and there are few hunters, off roaders are limited in where they can go, hikers stick to the main tracks. if there is low rainfall it is worth hunting the wet areas of creek headwaters....with the lack of people using the area it is much like a private block.
    Sideshow and charliehorse like this.

No bloody help to you at all, but if you did decide to go public, I can reliably inform you there is five fifths of fark all around Jumbo/Holdsworth in the Tararuas. Tagged along as an unarmed observer with a mate there a couple of weekends ago, and the fresh growth on ferns and other standard bambi fare was rather impressive - absolutely no grazing, sign, or spoor whatsoever, even on the tops. We found out on departure from the car park it had been 1080'd in July (you live and learn...), so that may have something to do with it, but shit, I have to say, it was bloody good to see what a forest looks like without deer and posso's!

Oh, the woofer sniffed out a little piglet just off the track. We did our hunterly duty, and there wasn't much left of the poor wee fella when he ran into a fast moving 7mm round at about 15-20m :/
    JessicaChen likes this.
    bunji likes this.

advice

thank you all guys.

Hope I will find a good private block. Time ticking.

Call Chris Cross at East Kaweka helicopters. He has some private blocks and public land Kaweka will be doing OK too

I get emails from this outfit, might be worth your while checking out.

The HuntingHQ Team (hunting@huntinghq.co.nz)
    Savvyhunter likes this.