Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: North Queensland Chital Deer

Nice. I shot a couple of good stags out Charters Towers way ten years or so ago. Great experience and beautiful deer. I have three skins with me here in NZ.

Chital are outstanding hunting. An interesting fact is the Chital are the only deer I believe that have solid hairs. (rather than hollow). This is why the skins make great floor mats. The hair does not break and snap like other deer. The other rather interesting thing about Chital is you can have some stags in velvet throughout the year. Here's a stag I shot near Charters Towers back in 2013.

Name:  IMG_0224_LI.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  3.62 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter3030 View Post
    Hi Am88, Nice looking deer Chital. There is a bunch roaming loose on the moonie highway, between Moonie and St George. Left overs from a deer farm apparently. Saw the early on morning. In Qld getting access to private land is a REAL problem and many charge for the privilege so I now head to NSW with my R Licence. Great pics and thanks for sharing.
    I had to look up R licence.... you're not serious are you?

R license in NSW enables you to hunt on public land. State Forest.

You might be thinking of R rated?

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    R license in NSW enables you to hunt on public land. State Forest.

You might be thinking of R rated?
    The guy is from QLD so I looked up R firearms and got this;
    (R) Machine guns, fully automatic large calibre military weapons. (https://www.qld.gov.au/law/crime-and...t-gun-licences)
    which would make deer hunting a lot of fun but it seemed to me, probably not practical!

My father in law has been shooting deer and heaps of pigs on his place out of Inverell, these pests are much more problematic now than they were before the drought. You guys shoot up that way at all?

[QUOTE=Southcity;944145]Chital are outstanding hunting. An interesting fact is the Chital are the only deer I believe that have solid hairs. (rather than hollow). This is why the skins make great floor mats. The hair does not break and snap like other deer. The other rather interesting thing about Chital is you can have some stags in velvet throughout the year. Here's a stag I shot near Charters Towers back in 2013.

I organized this Chital hunt with two friends and after some research took the punt on an outfitter based near Townsville. Its always a little risky wondering what sort of experience you will have. Organizing it on behalf of others also puts a little pressure on. What I can say is we had a fantastic experience and the outfitter lived up to recommendations. It was a very good property he hunted, he was professional, feed us well, accommodated in a farm cottage and above all knew his stuff. He got us onto three great trophies, allowed us to shoot some hinds for skins and his expertise and attention to detail head skinning and preparing the trophies was commented on by the taxidermist.
    If any one is interested I am happy to pass on his contact details.(I have done this for others and he has delivered a good hunt. From memory the cost was around the $AUD2700 - 3000 mark including trophies and hinds. He picked us up from Townsville and dropped us back.

Name:  IMG_0223_LI.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  3.95 MB
    Hendrik470 likes this.

An R Licence is different to a category R on a Firearms Licence. The NSW R Licence is obtained after sitting a test and allows one to hunt in NSW state forests. This is governed by the DNR (Dept Natural Resourses) Open book test. In Qld NO hunting in State Forests or National Parks. So only on private land with permission. So to hunt deer I have to go to NSW.