Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Not a Virgin any more !!!

Not a Virgin any more !!!

I weeks ago a few boys from Northland decided we would head down to National Park and a few days hunting. Both of my friends Daryl and Rick have been hunting for a number of years and both have a large number of deer to there name. But this hunt would be only my second and I still had not taken a deer.

I had arranged a hunting hunt, ok a 3 brm house at National Park with all the mod cons. Below is the view from the bivy.

Name:  IMG_0447.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  699.0 KB

We left Ngunguru on Friday at 1.30pm and had a good drive down and arrived at the bivy at 8.30pm that evening. We unpacked the car and settled in to a few rums and started to plan the next days hunt. We planned to get up at 4.30am to be at our spot by 5.15am to be in the bush on first light.

We had a great morning hunt with Rick taking a nice spiker at around 8.30am.

Name:  IMG_0441.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  708.9 KBName:  IMG_0439.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  897.2 KB

Daryl and I kept on hunting while Rick headed back to the car. We came across two more deer that morning but did not get a shot off. We headed back to the car to meet up with Rick. When we got back he was sitting in the sun looking very happy. We loaded up the deer into my hunting wagon and heading back to the bivy for a bit of lunch.

Name:  IMG_0442.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  530.2 KB

Over a feed of bacon and eggs, as it was to early for breakfast when we left, we planned the afternoon hunt.

We headed out at around 4.00pm and we where hunting at around 5.00pm. We hunting on the edge of a doc block and a forestry block with a fire break. We came up on a rise and in the distance where two deer feeding in the sun on the new growth.

They where about 175 yrds away had the boys said this one is yours. I managed to get about 10 yrds closer but them the 3 to 4 year old hind looked up and I froze after what felt like 5 minutes she started to feed again and I managed to get in behind a tree and get a good rest for the gun.

I looked down my Leupold Vx-3 2.5 to 8.5 36 sight, on my Tikka 7mm 08 and through to myself shit that's a long shot. Then I heard a voice behind me say wind up your scope. I had it on 2.5 and turned it to 8.5 and shit that looked a lot better. After a few second I managed to settle myself down as the heart my pounding, lined it up and booom !!!! I heard Rick say "she is down" then a second later, "shit she is up and running". The Daryl took off running, she had got up and run about 20 yrds start towards us and then cut into the nature bush, Daryl had seen her go in and after about 15 minutes of looking we had found my first deer.

Shit it felt good and the view from where I shot my first year was just picturesque

Name:  IMG_0443.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  668.1 KBName:  IMG_0449.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  308.4 KB

Sorry about the grammar and spelling !!!
    keen fella and phillipgr like this.

Good story, sound's like you enjoyed your self.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Well done for getting on the score board!

Banned
    Good work mate stoked!!!,hey and dont worry about the spelling and gramma shit if you read my posts youll think your an editor!.awsome johno i came from the far north theres no deer up there! just pigs and kingis!!!!

Well done Johno
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Thanks all ... yes still on a buss... and Neckshot the crays are big to.

Banned
    yea they sure are I use to hunt them with my old boy in cable bay and Tauranga bay and plenty other bays

Banned
    even Chur bay!

Nice one brother!

I dive mainly out on Tutukaka and Teal Bay ...the snapper are good as well....

Banned
    Snapper up there are like fellow in wangnui!.... every were ive got to get myself over there to get some!.ah tutukaka screams poor nights to me free diving beutiful place man.

Yes the Poor Nights are a great .. the crays are even bigger there but you can only look ... the kids love to go out for a swim with the fish

Banned
    Yea just like some donky snapper at Goat Island ha ha I use to feed them green peas while my old man took dive classes .

nice history mate , thanks for share !!!!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good story Johno. Well done pal.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms