Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 12 Post By 300winmag
  • 1 Post By 300winmag

Thread: NT Hunt

NT Hunt

My Aussie firearms permit and B709 finally turned up in the mail today. Been onto the NT Police by phone a few times panicking as the first copy went awol in the mail. The NT Police have been really helpful and are good to deal with.

I'm taking 2 rifles again, Tikka 300wm and Sako 85 375 h & h and 5kgs of handloads, it's a fair bit of paperwork but worth it.

This year I should be able to bag a 100 inch plus buff, shit loads of Donkeys, Horses and Pigs with the odd "Wild dog". We have approx 500 hundy thousand acres to roam around so never a dull moment. Picked up a new Canon camera yesterday so will give that a good workout. The wild life on this cattle station is amazing and hospitality is great.

It takes approx 2 1/2 days travel from Auckland, overnight Sydney, overnight Darwin then 4 hours by road to Katherine and then 2 hours inland to the station, and usually bloody hot to boot. This is my 3rd year and basically have a spot booked every year around August/September.

I try and break my first years record of 79 animals in 5 days, last year it was around 40 animals simply because I spent a few days getting a good trophy Scrub Bull. There's a fair bit of night hunting done as well targeting Pigs, bloody great with thermal gear.

The 375's going to get a good workout on this trip and with any luck the shoulders going to hack the pace

Great stuff

Where roughly are you headed ?
    South Alligator ?

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Sounds like an awesome trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Great stuff

Where roughly are you headed ?
    South Alligator ?

Ken
    West of Katherine past the Daly River, it's a great spot. It's one item on a bucket list you have to do, trouble is I have a permanent booking every year. There's a couple seats spare next year for any takers.

It sounds pretty awesome that's for sure
    VIVA LA HOWA

See if you can hook the thermal and flash new camera together for some of that up close action

When are you going?

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    See if you can hook the thermal and flash new camera together for some of that up close action

When are you going?
    21st Aug
    I bought a Bog gear shooting tripod on the net a couple months ago, it has an attachment on it so you can use a camera, it extends up to 1.5m, would be a good setup when nailing mobs of donkey's or horsies.
    It's exciting shit, like a schoolboy get his first root.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Sounds like an awesome trip.
    Yeah it is, never a dull moment.
    Last year we left camp early one morning, must have driven about 40km thru scrub, not on a track and only to run out of gas. The Aussie just said no worries mate I've got a Sat phone, whips it out of his pocket to make a call back to the camp only to find the batteries flat. By this time she's mid morning and getting hot. Takes the battery out of the phone and leaves it in the sun for 20mins then puts it back in and hey presto enough juice to dial home and arrange a jerry can and a few directions. That was going to take a couple hours so I just wandered around letting some lead lose.

This time I'm taking my own Sat phone for insurance.

The year before 5am in the morning, pitch black barrelling along metal road doing 100kph and the front left wheel decides to part company and take another direction, that's one time I thought she was all over rover. All the wheel nuts unwound, we couldn't find the wheel so put the spare on by robbing one wheel nut of the other three. Marked the track and went back in the afternoon and found it along way from where she parted company. I was hunting with Steve Lee ( I love guns) fame. An all round great guy, shit loads of fun.
    Toby likes this.

My Aunt and Uncle lived in Darwin for a number of years, but never got over there before they moved. Hunting buffalo and scrub bulls has a lot of appeal!!

Sounds like an awesome trip, could be keen join you next year if there's a spare seat.