Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 4 Post By zimmer
  • 5 Post By zimmer
  • 1 Post By Happy Jack
  • 5 Post By NZscopes
  • 1 Post By Backcountry Bob

Thread: NZFS and CAC

NZFS and CAC

Just as a follow up on Gundoc's posting below -

The NZFS CAC loaded .270 ammo differed regionally, 150 grain loads for the North Island (more bush shooting) and 130 grain loads for the South Island (longer range open tops). This was largely the work of Lynn Harris, a firearms enthusiast who was at NZFS HQ in Wellington. The .222 came into vogue in the mid to late '60's and I think it started on the West Coast where bush shooting ranges were fairly close and the cartridge was both accurate (for head and neck shots) and fairly quiet. The .222 started out as a private purchase experiment (BSA Hunters were the rifle of choice) and became NZFS issue a couple of years later when they proved their worth with high success rates. I know that .222 was official NZFS issue by 1970 when I was asked to rebarrel a new unfired Ruger Mini 14 to .222 by a West Coast meat shooter/culler. The only issue ammo available to me by the NZFS (Marlborough) in 1966 was hollow point .303 ball but I think the .270 was available in some other areas at the time.
    Micky Duck likes this.

CAC ammo production - (I hope I haven't got into copyright territory here...)

From Lynn Harris's book A Little Further A little Faster (A nostalgic look at the Colonial Ammunition Company)
    Name:  CAC 270 ALFALF.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  2.15 MB

From Barry Gracia's book Metallic Centrefire Cartridges Made By The Company (CAC) In New Zealand
    Name:  CAC 270 MCC BG.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  2.97 MB

From Barry Gracia's book Whitney's Heritage
    Name:  CAC 270 WH BG.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  2.08 MB

There was mention of the Dip Flat NZFS training camp in the other thread. Was this booklet issued as part of that traing?

Attachment 181114

Name:  Camp Cookery.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  75.4 KB
    tetawa, Woody, bumblefoot and 2 others like this.

duh, training

Still have a copy.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Great Info. Interesting about the different regions with the 130 and 150 gr. I started using using a Krico .270 from 1981 having moved on from my Sporting 303. Used mainly 130 gr with the NZFS stamp and the CAC stamp. All my hunting was in the Tararua's before moving to the Kaimanawa's - all recreational hunting. Did some reloading but mainly the factory rounds.

Dip flat is still a military training ground and they run the odd SAR course their from time to time, I was there with SAR Nelson about 6 years ago. before I moved South.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I have a full box.

Last edited by NZscopes; 14-10-2021 at 08:45 PM.

wasnt there a 110grn NZFS loading for the .270 aswell??????

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Just as a follow up on Gundoc's posting below -

The NZFS CAC loaded .270 ammo differed regionally, 150 grain loads for the North Island (more bush shooting) and 130 grain loads for the South Island (longer range open tops). This was largely the work of Lynn Harris, a firearms enthusiast who was at NZFS HQ in Wellington. The .222 came into vogue in the mid to late '60's and I think it started on the West Coast where bush shooting ranges were fairly close and the cartridge was both accurate (for head and neck shots) and fairly quiet. The .222 started out as a private purchase experiment (BSA Hunters were the rifle of choice) and became NZFS issue a couple of years later when they proved their worth with high success rates. I know that .222 was official NZFS issue by 1970 when I was asked to rebarrel a new unfired Ruger Mini 14 to .222 by a West Coast meat shooter/culler. The only issue ammo available to me by the NZFS (Marlborough) in 1966 was hollow point .303 ball but I think the .270 was available in some other areas at the time.
    Yes I got the late Din Collings to re-chamber a mini 14 to .222. The increased magazine capacity made it a great rifle for goat shooting. I had been told that Mini 14's weren't particularly accurate but I was very happy with the way it shot.
    Micky Duck likes this.