Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Oamaru private block

Oamaru private block

Hey all
    Just got back from 5days on the block,
    So Sunday morning finally came along and i was awake bright and early waiting for my hunting partner to drive down from Auckland and pick me up,he arrived about 6:30 and i loaded my gear into the van and we headed south,stopped in tokoroa for a dose of maccas for breakfast and continued on to helisika,i was excited and nervous as i havent been on a chopper before haha we arrived at the hanger,filled out the papers and weighed the gear,being 10kg over weight Ben,the pilot said we were good to go,the weather was on and off according to metservice but we werent worried at all,once at the hut all the gear was unloaded and sorted and a quik cup of tea and a plan for the day was arranged,we headed our separate ways brendan going north and me heading south up and over sika saddle but no deer being spotted by both of us though plenty of fresh sign and food about,so back at the hut for lunch and a plan for an evening hunt sorted,a few ks walked and alot of stalking was done for the first two days before brendan called me on the rino gps saying he shot a nice yearling and from 252metres away he was well impressed with his shot,i was at the hut at the time so i raced over to give him a hand,he gave me a lesson on dressing in the field as i have no experience with that haha,so i offered to carry it back to the hut for him,once at the hut we hung it the meat safe to set,the next day was pissing down so a good read in the hut was the plan,the next day dawned a beut,so again headed our separate ways for the day again nothing seen and shit that was a big day both of us doing alot of ks,we both got back to the hut about 3ish in the arvo,we cut up the yearling and a good feed of venison was on the menu for dinner,after a good feed brendon took me to a look out that looked promising so ten minutes from the hut we pushed through the scrub and found the first lookout and sure enough down on the river bank was a nice fat spiker,and brendon gave me the chance to nail it,this would be my first sika! 215metres on the range finder so i set up a rest and got comfy just as the spiker turned side on BOOM went his remy 708 and shit it dropped on the spot!!i was confident on the shot so now we were in recovery mode,shit we had a long walk just to get to the animal,down a near vertical cliff with a narrow dodgy track,across the river x3 haha once there i gutted it and strapped it to my back and off home we went,was the hardest but most rewarding walk ive ever done,the hill/cliff was a true gut buster and finally after a 2hour slog i made it to the hut just before dark,the remaining two cans of waikato i put in the stream never taste soo good!!bloody good timing as we were flying out the next morning:-)
    Will post pics:-)

Woohoo!! Good shit rookiesniper!! Couple of epic experiences aye, chopper, deer and a WAIKATO to top it off!!!
    Last edited by Gibo; 01-11-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Woohoo!! Good shit rookiesniper!! Couple of epic experiences aye, chopper, deer and a WAIKATO to top it off!!!
    No photo's??
    Go back and read his last sentence haha

Well done rookie, nothing like it aye. here's to many more
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Go back and read his last sentence haha

Well done rookie, nothing like it aye. here's to many more
    Fuck up! Im older than you show some respect! hahahaha

Yeah was fuckn awesome ay goin back in march for 5nights then back this time next year for 6nights haha im stoaked my first deer is a sika
    falconhell likes this.

It's a great place to hunt. I'm heading into the public side of the area after my last exam. Can't wait aye
    Yeah nah bro

Are you gonna stay at the doc hut phill?looks nice over there,plenty of deer on that side,we saw a big stag on the poronui block right in the middle of a patch that just got logged out,was a bit too far to shoot though,couldnt make out points but was fairly big from a distance haha

Quote Originally Posted by rookiesniper View Post
    Are you gonna stay at the doc hut phill?looks nice over there,plenty of deer on that side,we saw a big stag on the poronui block right in the middle of a patch that just got logged out,was a bit too far to shoot though,couldnt make out points but was fairly big from a distance haha
    Yeah I'll stay in the hut. Undecided whether I'll bring my fly and go up the track a bit for a couple nights, I have from monday-saturday free so I have plenty of time to take it easy, read a book, chill out. Need that after exams.

Usually see a fair few deer when I walk across poronui, there's heaps on there! Here's a couple photos I took last time I walk over, mark how well they blend in in the second photo.

Name:  crop.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  453.6 KBName:  crop2.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  432.9 KB

And another from the hut in the morning - chilly!

Name:  res.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  372.7 KB
    Yeah nah bro

Lost For Time
    Awesome trip RS, Congrats on first deer too

Cheers BH was an awesome trip,and getting the deer was a bonus aye
    Nice pics phillipgr am trying to load my pics on but havent figured it out yet haha yea they sure blend in alright,my spiker was standing out in the open on fresh green grass so he stood out like dogs balls haha

Quote Originally Posted by rookiesniper View Post
    Cheers BH was an awesome trip,and getting the deer was a bonus aye
    Nice pics phillipgr am trying to load my pics on but havent figured it out yet haha yea they sure blend in alright,my spiker was standing out in the open on fresh green grass so he stood out like dogs balls haha
    Are they too large? You can downsize them on MS paint pretty easy. PM me if you can't work it out.

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Na im just a muppet and trying to copy and patse shit haha il figure it out,computers arnt my forte` hahaha

Haha all good. looking forward to seeing the photos.
    Yeah nah bro

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Some good spotting on those buggers
    VIVA LA HOWA

640x480 is a good size
    Great story. Congrats on dropping yours. How was your first chopper ride?
    As much as I like choppers, giving how short the flight is, think I would have them fly the gear in and enjoy the walk

Been there once with ATC. Across Sika Saddle there was not much sign. Just inside the tight Manuka bush edge was a different story