Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Oaro block kaikoura

Oaro block kaikoura

Anyone hunted this block?i know the best way is to get the boots on and go in..Just wondering what the go is with access up the river looks like you have to walk up the Oaro 3-4km to get there. Iv been to the carpark just of the main rd. Is it mainly fallow up there? Just keen to put some effort into looking for a fallow buck on doc land. Cheers for any help.
    30.06king likes this.

Yep walk up the river, bolt out of rifle as local cocky can be a bit of a pain. Some fellow and plenty goats. We hunted in river but have heard tops are better

Don't shoot the river bed on the way in as cocky has been trying to charge anyone doing this with poaching we gave up hunting it because of his antics so b warned

I've been looking at this block for years but never been in. There is no public access marked on WAMS up the Oaro River - is there another place that access is documented?

I went in there a few years back. Rang DoC Kaikoura about access. They said just walk up the river. When we parked to start walking the farmer turned up and had a chat. We showed him our permits to keep him happy.
    Spoke to a guy who was with mates that shot a fallow in the riverbed before they got to the DoC area. The Police were waiting for them on the way out and got trespass notices.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

The farmer is ok, like Stug says if you come across him, have your permits and don't be dicks. Follow the rules and you'll be fine.
    I used to hunt the private block on the other side of the river to the farmer and we also had an encounter with him, apparently the biggest problem is the locals poaching in the riverbed and shooting up towards his property which I can understand it would put the shits up me too.
    He runs a game park so has definitely got a vested interest in keeping the poachers at bay. He has had people try and run him over and try and ram his vehicle off the road when confronting people illegally spotlighting the river.
    He's actually not a bad rooster if you give him a little courtesy.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    The farmer is ok, like Stug says if you come across him, have your permits and don't be dicks. Follow the rules and you'll be fine.
    I used to hunt the private block on the other side of the river to the farmer and we also had an encounter with him, apparently the biggest problem is the locals poaching in the riverbed and shooting up towards his property which I can understand it would put the shits up me too.
    He runs a game park so has definitely got a vested interest in keeping the poachers at bay. He has had people try and run him over and try and ram his vehicle off the road when confronting people illegally spotlighting the river.
    He's actually not a bad rooster if you give him a little courtesy.
    Thanks for chipping in @dannyb I was replying on my phone at work hence the typo and short answer.
    dannyb likes this.

Cheers guys for the heads up..im not looking at shooting deer in the river bed so should be sweet. Ill go for a walk and say gidday to the farmer if i run into him👍🏽
    BSA270 and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyR View Post
    Cheers guys for the heads up..im not looking at shooting deer in the river bed so should be sweet. Ill go for a walk and say gidday to the farmer if i run into him����
    Be prepared for wet feet, it is unavoidable.....
    Micky Duck and SGR like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Be prepared for wet feet, it is unavoidable.....
    Although there is a quickfire way to dry your boots out.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    quickfire
    yep think that's the correct terminology....

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Although there is a quickfire way to dry your boots out.
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    yep think that's the correct terminology....
    Wankers
    #DANNYCENT

Resurrecting this old thread - how long approx does it take to get up the river bed to the DOC block- looks like around 4km? - would an hour or so get you in there? Will be up near there for the weekend shortly and thinking about a quick sortie up one afternoon to see if I can rustle up some goats for the comp but will have to see if I can fit it into the schedule.

Yep an hour, could easily be done in an evening hunt
    dannyb and Jake77 like this.

Hunting up the river bed you can only get about 2km max before reaching a high waterfall but usually goats a plenty there
    Happy Jack.