Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Ok, kawekas... where, for a week... and go.

Ok, kawekas... where, for a week... and go.

So, I'm having a hard time trying to locate a good campsite, where there will possibly be no one as its in the wop wops must be able to drive to say campsite, and have good hunting within an hours walk from the said camp site.
    Can anyone recommend anywhere and possibly give me some pointers? I have some great thermal binos to glass the slips morning and sunset, and happy to put the hard yards into the walk during the day etc. But have 6 days up there, and would love someones opinion who knows what they are doing in this area and can point me towards the right direction. Happy to return the favor if your ever down in Wellington.

Pm, reply here, or whatever.... I'm a wairarapa hunter, so kawekas are still quite new to me.. kuripagango campsite, Lawrence rd campsite, makahu saddle hut, or te puia lodge campsite , can we setup a camp somewhere near the entrance to Stanfield hut haply to go anywhere....? I have stayed at makahu saddle hut before and the campsite at the end of makahu rd with the hot pools. And I k ow of a few spots up makahu saddle, and a couple of clearings on the te puia lodge hike.... but is there anywhere better than these two?

Please help and please give me your input - I want my first sika!!!

Good camp spot, no one around, thermal bino.....yeah gd luck

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum, GWH, chainsaw and 1 others like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Banned
    I'm not familiar, but hopefully someone with something to offer will add something to help

Use some more technology: view the WAMS website, use the public access area map, then overlay with the purple legal roads, plus satellite view.
    But good luck not bumping into anyone over the long weekend

There wouldn't be too many places where road ends in the Kaweka's that weren't DoC managed...would be a piss off to have those bino's confiscated.
    HNTMAD and chainsaw like this.

Banned
    Unless I'm mistaken, thermal gear is permitted for viewing animals with shots taken sans thermal during daylight hours
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, thermal gear is permitted for viewing animals with shots taken sans thermal during daylight hours
    You are mistaken...check DoC site
    HNTMAD likes this.

Banned
    Its no no on Public Land after dark if its on a gun with a mag in it. If you just have a thermal in the hand then it can be used. Thats my understanding. Does seem like a bit of a grey area though.

New Department of Conservation permit conditions - artificial light, night vision, and thermal imaging.

The Department of Conservation have recently added, torches, night vision and thermal imagers to the restrictions on a recreational hunting permit:

The following activities are strictly prohibited under this Permit during the hours of darkness (½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise):

• discharging a firearm
    • use of spotlights, torches, vehicle headlights, or any other artificial light source
    • use of night vision equipment, infra red and heat detecting devices.

We have checked with the Department of Conservation, who have assured us that the restriction of the above items are whilst used for the purpose of hunting at night.

If you are using a thermal imager to stealthily reach your hunting position before first light, or for locating a downed animal after dusk (shot no later than 1/2hr after sunset), make sure that you remove the magazine from your rifle, and empty the chamber. These are common safety practices, and should be observed anyway.

Read the following letter for an official clarification.

4 November 2015

Anthony,

Thank you for your e mail regarding the Department's hunting permit condition as it applies to hunting at night.
    Apologies for delay in replying I have been out of the office for a few days.

Comments as follows:
    · Hunting permits have conditions that govern the activity of hunting and are not intended to restrict or govern other activities.
    · The above is reinforced by the following statement on the hunting permit "There are permit conditions that you must adhere to when hunting".
    · Therefore Condition 4 (referred to in your e mail) applies restrictions that apply when undertaking the activity of hunting.
    · Condition 4 sets out to prevent shooting at night as it is considered an unsafe activity. (Limited visibility both peripheral and in the backdrop.)

When considering if an offence has been committed, as it relates to hunting, the following applies.
    · Opportunity: There are animals present in the area and hence a reason for hunting exists.
    · Means: A person is in possession of a weapon capable of killing an animal.
    · Intent: A person is in an area is in possession of a weapon, is actively "stalking" and the weapon is in a condition such that it can be discharged if an animal is encountered. (Bolt in the breech, magazine loaded).

Hence if as you mention you have your rifle slung over your shoulder with an empty chamber and magazine this would be sufficient to show lack of intent (to be actively hunting) and would not be an issue.

Hope the above clarifies the situation.

All the best,

Regards Ian.

Ian Cooksley
    National Hunting Advisor
    Department of Conservation - Te Papa Atawhai
    DDI: +06 350 9709

Te Papaioea / Palmerston North Office
    Private Bag 11010, Manawatu Mail Centre, Palmerston North 4442
    28 North Street, Palmerston North, 4410
    T: 06 350 9700
    Last edited by headcase; 03-10-2019 at 06:52 PM.

This was how I interpreted the DOC information

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Its no no on Public Land after dark if its on a gun with a mag in it. If you just have a thermal in the hand then it can be used. Thats my understanding. Does seem like a bit of a grey area though.

New Department of Conservation permit conditions - artificial light, night vision, and thermal imaging.

The Department of Conservation have recently added, torches, night vision and thermal imagers to the restrictions on a recreational hunting permit:

The following activities are strictly prohibited under this Permit during the hours of darkness (½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise):

• discharging a firearm
    • use of spotlights, torches, vehicle headlights, or any other artificial light source
    • use of night vision equipment, infra red and heat detecting devices.

We have checked with the Department of Conservation, who have assured us that the restriction of the above items are whilst used for the purpose of hunting at night.

If you are using a thermal imager to stealthily reach your hunting position before first light, or for locating a downed animal after dusk (shot no later than 1/2hr after sunset), make sure that you remove the magazine from your rifle, and empty the chamber. These are common safety practices, and should be observed anyway.

Read the following letter for an official clarification.

4 November 2015

Anthony,

Thank you for your e mail regarding the Department's hunting permit condition as it applies to hunting at night.
    Apologies for delay in replying I have been out of the office for a few days.

Comments as follows:
    · Hunting permits have conditions that govern the activity of hunting and are not intended to restrict or govern other activities.
    · The above is reinforced by the following statement on the hunting permit "There are permit conditions that you must adhere to when hunting".
    · Therefore Condition 4 (referred to in your e mail) applies restrictions that apply when undertaking the activity of hunting.
    · Condition 4 sets out to prevent shooting at night as it is considered an unsafe activity. (Limited visibility both peripheral and in the backdrop.)

When considering if an offence has been committed, as it relates to hunting, the following applies.
    · Opportunity: There are animals present in the area and hence a reason for hunting exists.
    · Means: A person is in possession of a weapon capable of killing an animal.
    · Intent: A person is in an area is in possession of a weapon, is actively "stalking" and the weapon is in a condition such that it can be discharged if an animal is encountered. (Bolt in the breech, magazine loaded).

Hence if as you mention you have your rifle slung over your shoulder with an empty chamber and magazine this would be sufficient to show lack of intent (to be actively hunting) and would not be an issue.

Hope the above clarifies the situation.

All the best,

Regards Ian.

Ian Cooksley
    National Hunting Advisor
    Department of Conservation - Te Papa Atawhai
    DDI: +06 350 9709

Te Papaioea / Palmerston North Office
    Private Bag 11010, Manawatu Mail Centre, Palmerston North 4442
    28 North Street, Palmerston North, 4410
    T: 06 350 9700
    Last edited by headcase; 03-10-2019 at 06:52 PM.

This was how I interpreted the DOC information
    Had you scrolled down the google options you may have found the updated one.
    HNTMAD likes this.

Banned
    All good, happy to take advisement

So is it allowed.or not, way I read it is no use of thermal imaging.....your letter is 2015 and thermal has really only taken off in the last 3-5

I hope its a no

Hamish

Rees likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Banned
    Gets down to the 'use for hunting' phrase I guess. If it said 'not permitted on DOC land's that would be clear, but it doesn't.

Ill never use it myself at any rate

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    So is it allowed.or not, way I read it is no use of thermal imaging.....your letter is 2015 and thermal has really only taken off in the last 3-5

I hope its a no

Hamish

The following activities are strictly prohibited:
    Hunting during the hours of darkness (half an hour after sunset to half hour before sunrise).
    Hunting with spotlights, torches, vehicle headlights, or any other artificial light source.
    Hunting with any night vision equipment, thermal imaging, infrared or heat detecting devices.
    Attaching a torch or other light source to a firearm.
    Hunting with any shotgun, rimfire rifle, 17 or 22 hornet calibre, air rifle, or tracer and incendiary type ammunition

Where's the fun in going hunting with a thermal fullstop?
    Nathan F, jknavara, HNTMAD and 3 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Don't get me wrong, i am all for thermals, i cant afford one but know several hunters who use them...best thing since helicopters for hunting.