Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes
  • 1 Post By HOO
  • 2 Post By HNTMAD
  • 6 Post By gimp
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 4 Post By MB
  • 4 Post By longshot
  • 1 Post By cduhme
  • 2 Post By ZQLewis

Thread: Open Area Hunting Permits

Open Area Hunting Permits

Hi there,
    sorry if this is a dump question; (hunter from Canada here who is trying to understand NZ rules).

Is there a limit in the number of permits that are given out in a particular area?

Thanks
    Christian

HOO
    I may be wrong but I don’t believe so. You. Can have as many permits as you like from around the different areas. Last for 3 months I think and then you just get another one online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cduhme likes this.

Not a dumb question ....nope there is not

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and cduhme like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

DOC hunting permits are a more or less meaningless box-tick to meet an obligation under the law, they're free and unrestricted in most areas - unless specifically detailed otherwise for that area on the DOC website.

Gone but not forgotten
    In the open permit areas there is no limit.
    The restricted areas usually do have a limit. One area I hunt has only one permit per hunting block on any particular day, for up to three hunters per permit. Permits are only issued for 2 day periods, and you cant get another permit until the one you have has expired
    cduhme likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by cduhme View Post
    Hi there,
    sorry if this is a dump question; (hunter from Canada here who is trying to understand NZ rules).

Is there a limit in the number of permits that are given out in a particular area?

Thanks
    Christian

No. You have to get your head around the fact that the Department of Conservation wants all the animals gone, eradicated. Shooting, arrows, poison, they don't care. Any rules pertaining to hunting are related to public safety rather than conservation as you know it, or animal welfare concerns.
    mikee, sometimes1, Fatberg and 1 others like this.

When I renew my permit I tick the box for every area in NZ.
    I read the rules for all areas and print out the three-four pages of permit.

Thanks everyone for your help!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Just one thing to note however, certain areas have limited access or seasonal ballots,
    so if you are looking at DOC's web site any area marked as an open hunting area is open slather to everyone.

However some areas have restricted or limited access through a ballot system. (as noted above largely due to safety).
    ie the Tahr ballots, Wapiti ballots, some Fallow herds (Te Miro/Te Tapui & Blue Mountains)
    White Tail blocks on Stewart island needs to be book well in advance as well.

The DOC website is generally quite helpful if you spend time on it and the regional office staff are generally also helpful.

NB If you are planning on bringing your own rifles thats something you need to start early on. Mr Plod over here dose not move very fast.
    This is an area I don't know much about but you will get questions about where and how you will be storing your rifles particularly while traveling.
    ie legally you can't leave your rifle locked in your car all day while you wander around a city. You may need to look into seeing if you can arrange storage.

Thats one big benefit of using a local guide. They can help with storage & temporary firearms licences. Our back country may not be as large as what you are used to but it can be very changeable and steep. I'm sure you have watched a few NZ hunt videos on your Outdoors's TV channel.

These 2 are our most popular Local hunting shows
    https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/nz-hunter-adventures
    https://www.nzhunteradventures.co.nz/

https://www.skygo.co.nz/show/mac_sh_15307
    https://www.thehuntersclub.co.nz/

Select videos in the areas you think you may want to hunt and it will give you an idea of the country and what gear they carry. (PLB each & Garmin Inreach for the group)
    Z
    Micky Duck and cduhme like this.