Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Timmay

Thread: Open Country/Long Range Oppurtunitys

Open Country/Long Range Oppurtunitys

Hey guys,
    Just looking for a bit of help, looking for an area in the central-northern north island where there is some open country to hunt/shoot on. Wanting to do some longer range hunting with my .300 win mag, and would also be keen on just pushing my abilities on some homemade targets.
    I know the area around the desert road is open country but not 100% sure on where abouts is DOC land and where isn't and which open permit applies.
    Just trying to gather all the info I can at the moment so I can start to build a plan.

Cheers all

https://www.walkingaccess.govt.nz/wa...ccess-mapping/

Do remember this is public land. Not your personal firing range.
    There is a forum shoot in 2 months where you will safely be able to push the range of your rifle.

Or use the doc maps on their site which gives you the open hunting areas

Good advice in the above two posts.

The ruahine tops can give some opportunity for 200m+ shots and a winmag would help. Fitness, bushcraft and survival skills are the key up there so go wih a mate and build up.

Otorohanga rifle club has opportunities for target work. Freindly blokes, huning rifle shooters welcomed. Contact them before to check what ranges they will shoot over each weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by HairyLemon View Post
    Hey guys,
    Just looking for a bit of help, looking for an area in the central-northern north island where there is some open country to hunt/shoot on. Wanting to do some longer range hunting with my .300 win mag, and would also be keen on just pushing my abilities on some homemade targets.
    I know the area around the desert road is open country but not 100% sure on where abouts is DOC land and where isn't and which open permit applies.
    Just trying to gather all the info I can at the moment so I can start to build a plan.

Cheers all
    Hey man.

If you're looking for long range tops hunting, the Kaimanawa, Kaweka and Ruahine tops are pretty good as far as hunting opportunities go.

That being said, I'd be careful about just bombing shit up at long range in national parks etc. It's not as big as you'd think. You need to find a place to practice closer to home.
    Because you're in Auckland, the opportunities for actually shooting long range are fairly limited. If you're serious about learning then it may be worth joining a rifle club (from memory there was one based at Clevedon/Ardmore which has a 1000m range.) but unfortunately most places only have 100-200 meter ranges.

If you're interested in learning about long range shooting, check out thlr.no on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/sierra645). Fantastic guide and introduction to all the involved facets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Good advice in the above two posts.

Fitness, bushcraft and survival skills are the key up there so go wih a mate and build up.
    I think Fitness is probably the most important and underestimated aspect of hunting that type of country.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    https://www.walkingaccess.govt.nz/wa...ccess-mapping/

Do remember this is public land. Not your personal firing range.
    There is a forum shoot in 2 months where you will safely be able to push the range of your rifle.
    Only six weeks

Of course, I understand its not my personal range. I think I was misunderstood, I dont intend on just throwing rounds out into the distance on public land. I have shot long range before but no longer have that opportunity. I was more asking if there were many open country areas around this part of the country, with the opportunity of taking an animal at extended distance and if that fell through seeing if I can still hit a target at that distance. Thanks