Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Open Range Christchurch - Anyone know of a range open

Open Range Christchurch - Anyone know of a range open

I am a member of the NZHA range but they have closed the range until the 31st of March due to the mass shooting (which I believe is bullshit as I haven't done anything wrong and am losing the biggest benefit of a 24/7 range that I can check zero) and as such I haven't a place to check my zero before my trip. Had planned on checking it on the way to my spot but now with river levels rising I'm not walking up any valleys remotely suitable.
    Any other options people can think of?
    Last edited by Stocky; 26-03-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Im in the same position. They increase the price of the membership and then shut the range off on one of the busiest times of the year! it is a piss take and completely unwarranted.

I think you two need to stop being so self centred and think of what is at stake here. A lot of the general public (mostly who appear to hate guns) drive past the NZHA range- particularly during the weekend.

Imagine how insensitive it would appear to them if we just continued at the range as if nothing had happened. I agree with you that we did/ are doing nothing wrong, but at this moment public perception means a lot.

For the record, I too would like to check the alignment of one of my scopes as my son slipped over last time we were hunting and gave it a knock, but there is a lot to lose here, and as inconvenient as it is I believe the NZHA have made the right decision.

sneakywaza I got
    The range isn't anywhere near the damn city and only those that know it exists pay any attention going past. Currently doing load development for 3 people and am on hold, got a new rifle of my own to start work on, and am on hold. If the range was in the central city with a high profile, I would get it.
    blake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    I am a member of the NZHA range but they have closed the range until the 31st of March due to the mass shooting (which I believe is bullshit as I haven't done anything wrong and am losing the biggest benefit of a 24/7 range that I can check zero) and as such I haven't a place to check my zero before my trip. Had planned on checking it on the way to my spot but now with river levels rising I'm not walking up any valleys remotely suitable.
    Any other options people can think of?
    Laser bore sighter. If you have a laser one, make doubly sure by turning it 90 deg at a time in the chamber and check each time it coincides with the crosshair. Get them on TM for about same price as a non-member range fee, or less even. And don't drop yours onto a concrete floor, I now bore sight through a chambered unprimed cartridge shell...
    A330driver likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Yep, its out of the way, plus range/people shooting can not be seen from the road so there is no problem. I am off hunting this weekend and rifle is only bore sighted which is as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

The event has shocked everyone and is horrible, but closing everything up is letting him win.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Laser bore sighter. If you have a laser one, make doubly sure by turning it 90 deg at a time in the chamber and check each time it coincides with the crosshair. Get them on TM for about same price as a non-member range fee, or less even. And don't drop yours onto a concrete floor, I now bore sight through a chambered unprimed cartridge shell...
    I hope his laser bore sight is better than my one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribrit View Post
    I hope his laser bore sight is better than my one.
    I would trust my previous zero before a laser boresighter. I have been lucky enough to have a forum member offer me a solution. Thanks to all. I can understand where they are coming from but I do not agree with the action. The club itself is awesome and the management very helpful. I just don't agree in regards to this decision this time of year. I'd be surprised if anyone heard me using it when I shoot there at night. You would have to stop your car outside and listen. It's no more confronting than the police still walking around everywhere fully armed.

Also a member and I also agree that keeping it closed is achieving nothing except inconveniencing its members.

NZDA range closed to public. Members only until further notice

PJC
    really, 50 people died

My wife will be dealing with the shitty fallout at work for months

So has mine. She worked 25 hours on the day it happened and has been in theatre with them since (bar two days off)

Still doesnt mean the range should have been closed for as long as it was.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    really, 50 people died

My wife will be dealing with the shitty fallout at work for months
    Over a hundred people have died on our roads so far this year. Should the roads be closed as well?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Public perception = lynch mob rule.

Quote Originally Posted by sightpicture View Post
    Public perception = lynch mob rule.
    Agree. But it's one of those realities you can't screw about with, like gravity.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch