Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Otanewainuku Forest

Otanewainuku Forest

Hey guys, study leave has left me with a lot of free time and the bakery hasn't given me enough hours to fill it. And I am thinking about giving Otanewainuku Forest a look, any tips or need to knows for the area? and where would be a good place to stash the car? cheers.

You should be ok to park the car at the carpark up on mountain road, just don't park up at Manoeka Road if you decide to go to the Otawa reserve a few bad eggs down manoeka road, oh and watch that hairpin corner just before Otanewainuku carpark coming from Oropi it's a bitch if you go too quick
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Been up there a few times Haggie. To be honest I havnt had any luck with stuff all deer sign seen. Had a few pigs cornered in a thicket once but wasnt keen to go in after them without a dog.
    Have seen them on the #2 road heading up to Mountain Road so must be there somewhere Parking at the carpark is sweet. My suggestion would be to head down the other track (forget the name) its across the road from the Otanewainuku track (same carpark).
    I park my truck up Manoeka Road all the time and touch wood have had no issues. Normal things of leaving nothing of value or visible of course.
    Another way is via Quarry road and walk across the top of the Papamoa hill, you can then pop into the guts etc on the eastern side to check the streams etc.
    Date dependant I could be keen or help out with parking and maybe drop ya off?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Been up there a few times Haggie. To be honest I havnt had any luck with stuff all deer sign seen. Had a few pigs cornered in a thicket once but wasnt keen to go in after them without a dog.
    Have seen them on the #2 road heading up to Mountain Road so must be there somewhere Parking at the carpark is sweet. My suggestion would be to head down the other track (forget the name) its across the road from the Otanewainuku track (same carpark).
    I park my truck up Manoeka Road all the time and touch wood have had no issues. Normal things of leaving nothing of value or visible of course.
    Another way is via Quarry road and walk across the top of the Papamoa hill, you can then pop into the guts etc on the eastern side to check the streams etc.
    My father used to shoot a few deer up that way many moons ago while he was alive both in Otanewainuku and Otawa so obviously the population has dropped a bit in the last 20 or 30 years I used to go into otawa with a few freinds when I was younger but never used to see anything, I won't go to Otanewainuku via Te Puke as I have difficulty going past the junction of no1 and 2 roads.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    I won't go to Otanewainuku via Te Puke as I have difficulty going past the junction of no1 and 2 roads.
    Why's that mate? Family there and get stuck drinking?

There is still shit loads of deer in there mate. Just have to work for them.

Why's that mate? Family there and get stuck drinking?

There is still shit loads of deer in there mate. Just have to work for them.
    PM sent mate won't mention on the thread

PM sent mate won't mention on the thread
    Cheers.

Just waiting on the boss to see what hours i have this week, if i dont have any over the next few days ill head down tonight and crash in the car with a sleeping bag and get into it in the morning or in the weekend if i do have work. Cheers for the advice.
    Gibo, Micky Duck and 40mm like this.

If you do go and have time go for a walk up to the trig wicked views from up there, and don't forget to post a trip report when you get back
    Gibo likes this.

If you do go and have time go for a walk up to the trig wicked views from up there, and don't forget to post a trip report when you get back
    Not working tomorrow so looks like its all go, better pack a camera too then. where abouts is the car park? close to the intersection of no 2 and mountain road?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggie View Post
    Not working tomorrow so looks like its all go, better pack a camera too then. where abouts is the car park? close to the intersection of no 2 and mountain road?
    yip maybe 100m at the most
    Haggie likes this.

if you are going through Te Puke then turn on to mountain road from No2 road and the carpark is along there from memory it will be on the right going in from Te Puke. If going over the kaimais carry on through as if you are going to Te Puke and then turn right onto Oropi road follow that till you see the Mountain Road turn off and follow mountain road till you get to the Otanewainuku car park.

Edit: Gibo beat me to it
    Haggie likes this.

I was up Otawa on Monday last week. Saw only a little bit of sign, but shows their in there.
    Was a bit worried about the car, but was there when I got back.

Saw a little bit of sign, most of it was old. Followed some of the newer stuff till i couldnt anymore looked around for a while and waited. Decided to get back to my planned route step on a stick it makes loud crack and a deer bolts off not that far away. god damn. walked around for a few more hours to no avail so i headed up to the trig station for a look then took off.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggie View Post
    Saw a little bit of sign, most of it was old. Followed some of the newer stuff till i couldnt anymore looked around for a while and waited. Decided to get back to my planned route step on a stick it makes loud crack and a deer bolts off not that far away. god damn. walked around for a few more hours to no avail so i headed up to the trig station for a look then took off.
    Good stuff Haggie! At least there was life in there. Get any photos from the trig??