Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By tiroahunta
  • 1 Post By Reindeer

Thread: Outside fires

Outside fires

Just read a post ...No outside fires to be lit at any levels .Not sure if this is correct but someone may know the rules

plenty of farms burning off out my way Waimakariri district

everyone round here (myself included) had burnoffs during the internment.....
    https://www.firepermit.nz/ACA/Welcome.aspx
    they ask you not too but punch in your address and see if there is an open fire season in your district

Gone but not forgotten
    I did read they asked to or light fires during level four (due to neighbours or passerby’s calling 111 and pulling firefighters out of their bubble), ourdistrict is now open fire season so I assume it’s fine now, I’ve got a big heap of tree prunings ready to go.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Open season BOP
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

During L4 grandson and a team stripped lining from a fire damaged house, on the morning of L3 set fire to the rubbish, it was a ripper of a fire and could be seen from miles away, police turned up so grandson showed police on his phone where fire ban had been lifted the previous evening...after police checked with their boss it turned out that fire service had lifted ban but council still had permit only fires...slight cock up but the lad was allowed to keep his fire going so he went back the next two mornings and raked it up and got it going again...excellent job done.

plenty of burnoffs near hoe just south of christchurch.

Dunno...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRT, Mathias and piwakawaka like this.

It's an open fire season in the Manawatu mate
    Unless you mean on DOC land in which case there is a year round ban on fires.

Hi Fellas
    @kawekakid

The no fires thing. This has been a pain in my and many of my colleagues around the country's arse!!!!

So ill detail it a bit for you,
    But for a start Yes you can light a fire in your back yard farm or wherever so long as the area is in either Open or Restricted area (must have permit when restricted).
    Some areas around NZ are all year restricted and some are full time Prohibited.

Councils bugger all say in fires anymore except for where effects on air quality are concerned and setting rules about incinerators.

After lockdown was announced FENZ rightly or wrongly wanted to give some direction to public about lighting fires during these periods. Its duty of care to personnel it wanted to reduce the "risk" of FENZ staff from leaving their "bubbles" to fight fires so issued a statement asking people not to light fires. Thats the bit you need to note "asking". Due to gaps in legal authority around fire weather system and conditions it couldn't place the country in a "Fire Ban" and also meant that the fires were legit, so long as the were following rules set down in the FENZ Act. This turned out to be counter intuitive for FENZ staff because as soon as members of the public saw smoke, and remember the fuhrer asked people to dob in, it was a phone call to the station or comm's so rather than reduce the risk it actually increased it. We were out and about being smoke police for the lockdown breaking our bubbles.

A final note on lighting fires, If you're in town, for fuks sake talk to your neighbors first!!! This is the No#1 source of calls. Bitching neighbors. If you're rural Follow permit conditions and call Fire Communications admin line before burning. This helps by intercepting nuisance callouts for legit fires.
    berg243 likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    The amount of permitted fires that Nth Comms send us to is high. Even thou they have notice of a permitted fire, but because Joe public called it in, then you have to attend.i
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    It's not a fire it's a hangi, honest as, officer.
    One of five I've done since this time last week. This one is actually still burning (pic taken on the 11th) It was big and hot enough to grill a moose. Anyone got a moose?
    Ah I see you like your moose backsteaks pink