Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: painful knees

As others have said the supplements can help.
    Would be worth checking with podiatrist to see if its a biomechanical.issue that can be relieved with cast orthotics (dont bother with anything less than cast for hunting) bending down, kneeling on concrete etc all the time in building is tough on knees. Some focused remedial.exercise can help too. Building muscular strngth can help.with ensuring proper motion etc. All of this said without.knowing your phyisical state. Im fit but my knees still benefit from focused remedial work.

Here you go, plenty stuff here to help a fellow out.

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=Kn...BImN0wX55YCICA

Most people with sound knees can afford to up their workload without any comeback. Once you damage a joint it's ability to perform is compromised and you need to pay more attention to the details of your preparation. I would suggest a visit to a podiatrist. I have always had a hard paper round and after sixty odd years of abuse many joints are just about f*****. Some years ago I was attending a podiatrist to have ingrowing toenails treated and he asked if he could show me something. He put a gel like substance on the bottom of my feet and asked me to step onto some paper a bit like blue hand towel. The resulting imprint was what you would expect from Daffy the Duck. My arches were completely shot. He made me bespoke inserts that I wear in my shoes and they have improved things. I always had the stamina for long hikes, never the speed, but the stamina and the inserts didn't change that but now I might be a bit stiff on Monday but before it used to be Thursday some times before I was walking right.

thanks tussock, so your recommendation is see physio? I have already worked out (partly from some of what dr said) that something has changed(most likely not being on the tools for last 12 mnths)which is causing the side ligaments to overwork,,, never happened before, just strange that its happening now, and im less than 90kg for first time in 22 yrs,,,

all good info, thanks a lot guys.

Hi, Tussock is right, you might also try a sports physio - search "IT bands" and see if that sounds like you

From Wikipedia "Iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS or ITBFS, for iliotibial band friction syndrome[1]) is a common injury to the knee, generally associated with running, cycling, hiking or weight-lifting"

IT bands run down the outside of the leg, over the outside of the knee and insert just below the knee. Friction on a little sac on the outside of the knee can cause painful inflammation. A foam roller can be used to stretch the band so it passes over the knee more easily.

Or something like that

Cheers

I had the same issue years ago after some extending hunting trips. Ended up taking lots of drugs & getting heaps of physiotherapy. After each hunt my knee would flare up and off to the physio I would go. Until I was told to go see a podiatrist, who told me straight away that I needed orthotic inserts for my shoes. Ever since I have had those, my knees have been fine. The others are right, its all connected and it just takes one thing to be out of alignment then all manner of crap can start to go bad.

I also take the joint formula daily.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

I think tussock is right. Also do favour one leg for pushing up hills to the other? I did and funny enough it was that one that gave out.

thanks guys, ill be seeing podiatrist and sports physio(some all blacks physio guy) soon

If you have been building for over 17 years, I assume you are 35 years or thereabouts and are no doubt healthy.

However, keep in mind that there is a big difference in the fitness level required to spend 10 hours on a job site vs. 10 hours out walking in the hills.

While this does not specifically address your painful knees, I would suggest that you acknowledge that you are not as young as you once were and read through some of the comments from the veterans on the NZHS forum.

I have effectively been an office worker for my entire working life which is going on 30 years. I live at 154ft above sea level and enjoy walking in the hills.

At the age of 50, I can drive down to Mt Rainier (14,440ft) during the winter and park at 5,800ft - then walk up to 10,000ft for a day out back country skiing.

I enjoy beer and good Scotch whiskey on a regular basis . . . . but if planning a day trip like that, I take it easy a few days beforehand.

While I would not have the nerve to suggest YOGA . . . . I will say that I am a true believer in an early morning walk and a good stretch before and after any workout at the gym or after a day in the hills.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  328.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Preview

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm-- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

T.S. Eliot

Ejected
    What a view!!!

Name:  zm9qf_medium_medium.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  9.0 KB

these look like painful knees

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Attachment 15483

these look like painful knees
    .gif isn't working. argh.

In my 30's I had shocking knee pain and couldn't go hunting without wearing open patella neoprene braces.
    A cocky told me how they used to give themselves a shot of sheep drench to sort their pains - turns out NZ soils have little or no selenium and the drench has selenium added. I didn't take the drench, but put myself on a healtheries multi with added selenium and the pain disappeared after a few weeks.
    I haven't suffered knee pain years now.

Antsman, your profile doesn't say where you are but if in Auckland I can really recommend the sports docs at the millenium institute set up by john mayhew and david abercrombie, the ex all blacks crew. Im guessing your injury will count for ACC so its about $35. The physio's are top shelf, looking after Olympic and ITU world ranked triathletes so they know what's what. David Cooper is really good.
    Cheers

"I would suggest that you acknowledge that you are not as young as you once were and read through some of the comments from the veterans on the NZHS forum.", haha, im 43, play another competetive sport as well as hunting (not as much as i should) , and have just finished a 25 min discussion with the wife about all these knee possibilities from the wise guys...
    the whole reason behind the post is that while i am no spring chicken, having knee issues that are mysterious is frikkin concerning, i mean if it affects my ability to perform K9 fashion the mrs will friggin sack me

veitnamcam and Gibo like this.