Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By JoshChiv
  • 1 Post By POME
  • 1 Post By POME
  • 1 Post By Frogfeatures
  • 1 Post By JoshChiv
  • 1 Post By Keltic_Kiwi

Thread: Pan Pac Hunting

Pan Pac Hunting

Hey Guys

Any one done much hunting in and around the PanPac Forrest?.

I just rang them and am going in tomorrow after work to sort out a permit which blocks have you guys had luck in or recommend me starting out in so I can get my elusive first deer haha.

Hey is depends on what you want to go hunting for,

If you wanna go hunting for deer then Gwavas or Burns are pretty good. Burns you can easily drive around close to where you are hunting and go for a glassing. Or you can go up the Napier Taupo road which is more bush hunting in those blocks. It depends who is issuing the permit to you as different people manage different areas.

Hope this helps and good luck for your first deer.
    (Remember there is also DOC land which is always great to hunt in)
    Met4lboy likes this.

You did well to get in. I phoned and phoned and phoned ..................................... The guy to sort a permit some time ago left lots of messages to no avail. Just to note Gwavas was 1080ed not that long ago. Good luck.
    BRADS likes this.

By the way if you want some company give me a shout.
    Met4lboy likes this.

Basically you need to know someone who works at panpac or knows the managers of the blocks to get one

You won't have much luck, You won't get into Gwavas as the manager is a miserable sh1t and only let's his mates in. Mohaka is owned by the Maoris now and the only hunting allowed is local Maoris, even staff can't get in there. Kaweka is pretty much a staff block. A lot more of the crown lease forest is going back to Maori in the near future so unless you marry a local girl get used to doc land.

Reply to this thread when you get your permit to see what block they gave you

Hey Guys, so I went in today to speak tot he guy about the permit he seemed nice enough and let me know the go for pan pac Forrest I managed to get a permit for the Ohane block on the 16th and 17th of this month. Im wrappd about that and can't wait to get out there.
    Pome is coming to if he can make it so wish us luck.

Updates to come watch this sapce.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Leave your permit on the car dashboard so Brian (Security guy ) can see you're legal. If you get a chance to talk to him, pick his brains. He's a nice guy, and will point you in the right direction.
    I hunt there 5-6 times a year. It's not bad, but you've got to do some miles. Try the north side of Stoney Creek, and hunt the ridges. Good luck, and post up a trip report.
    Met4lboy likes this.

yea I've hunted that block as well, not much in the block itself but hunt the edges where the native joins the panpac block. be careful that you are hunting on either your block or the doc block otherwise you may come into a bit of grief if you hunt the eastern side close to the road, as this is private and the people dont deal too well with poachers.

Plenty of deer around there, nice heads as well, good luck
    Met4lboy likes this.

Good luck Met4lboy, let me know if you have any luck as I may give it a go myself
    Met4lboy likes this.
    7. Avoid alcohol or drugs when handling firearms

Good judgement is the key to safe use of firearms.

"There's a reason you go to a zoo and you don't get eaten by Lions, they're in the cages. That's how that works."

I work at panpac not hard to get a block ring up the Forestry department ,ask to speak to the manager of what ever area your after , you will have to book as they are booked in advance( better places to hunt around hb than panpac blocks anyway , i hardly ever book them)
    Last edited by Grs300; 08-08-2014 at 03:20 AM.