Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Edunn

Thread: Past Wanaka Ballot hunters

Past Wanaka Ballot hunters

Howdy everyone, been very quiet on here, back in the big burnt country since the start of the roar , looking to be back soon though to chase that elusive ol royal .

i missed out on wanaka ballot myself , came on to check out the wanaka roar thread, bugger too see only 8 replies- is everyone being a bit tight lipped early on or did everyone miss out aswell?

I wanna ask around to see if any Members on here have in the Past been on Wanaka Roar Blocks during the ballot period? i am chasing some kind of short info on as many of the block area as i can, your info would be much appreciated toward the cause which is mostly for personal studies and satisfaction.. i think this area is the ducks nutz because of those 30s-50s when the ballots first began..
    a sucker for black and white photos of lurrverly big red heads i suppose!

So, Whos been there, Wanaka Ballot Blocks ?

Which one, What year?

Cheers

Been up Mil Creek last year. Didn't see a deer saw maybe 50 Chamois took a Buck and two does for rugs. It's right next to Aspiring Helicopters so I think it gets smashed by the choppers. You will struggle to find people talking to much about them as then they add competition for the blocks they have been in and want to go back for. The big ones are fewer and further between I believe nowadays due to the Heli pressure and the tendency of guys struggling to see deer for 7 days killing any stag they can. I only saw a few of the stags taken this year and none would have been 4 years of age and 2 were just spikes. I'm sure some better ones where taken but I heard similar experiences to mine in a few areas this year and previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Been up Mil Creek last year. Didn't see a deer saw maybe 50 Chamois took a Buck and two does for rugs. It's right next to Aspiring Helicopters so I think it gets smashed by the choppers. You will struggle to find people talking to much about them as then they add competition for the blocks they have been in and want to go back for. The big ones are fewer and further between I believe nowadays due to the Heli pressure and the tendency of guys struggling to see deer for 7 days killing any stag they can. I only saw a few of the stags taken this year and none would have been 4 years of age and 2 were just spikes. I'm sure some better ones where taken but I heard similar experiences to mine in a few areas this year and previously.
    yo thanks for taking the time to reply.
    il shoot you a pm, you seem down to earth. cheers

Hey Rees,

I missed out on the ballot this year as well. However I have hunted in a few of the wanaka roar blocks in the past.

Similar chat to the others - my experience has been far more chamois than deer but I imagine the further you go, the better they get.

Cameron Creek, blue, fish, wilkin, timaru have all been pretty slim on the deer in my experience but others may have different views. Awesome places to go for a walk nonetheless.

Cheers.
    Rees likes this.