Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tiroatedson

Thread: Peak fallow rut NI

Peak fallow rut NI

Hi all,

I've got a leave pass for Easter Sunday, which will be the 21st April. I was thinking of going for a look for sika, as it's smack bang in the middle of sika rut, but I'm a bit put off it being Easter and all. So I thought a little CNI fallow block may be a better option, but I don't know much about them, i.e. when they croak. I was thinking of looking in Neilson's Reserve in Retaruke.
    More meplat, more better.

They really started getting going in the last week where i hunt. Some bucks i watched last weekend are still lazing around waiting for things to really kick off so I would say this weekend will be all go - good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    Hi all,

I've got a leave pass for Easter Sunday, which will be the 21st April. I was thinking of going for a look for sika, as it's smack bang in the middle of sika rut, but I'm a bit put off it being Easter and all. So I thought a little CNI fallow block may be a better option, but I don't know much about them, i.e. when they croak. I was thinking of looking in Neilson's Reserve in Retaruke.
    It’ll most probably be just as busy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    It’ll most probably be just as busy...

Yeah. I've never been in there, but it's not a big reserve. I'm not even 100% sure it holds fallow, I just have no idea when it comes to finding them. Reds, easy. Sika, easy. Fallow that aren't on private land or balloted blocks - I wouldn't have a clue. I've tried a couple of small blocks bordering the Whanganui River below Taumaranui and only found goats and Reds, so this is the next block I'm looking into in that process.
    More meplat, more better.

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    Yeah. I've never been in there, but it's not a big reserve. I'm not even 100% sure it holds fallow, I just have no idea when it comes to finding them. Reds, easy. Sika, easy. Fallow that aren't on private land or balloted blocks - I wouldn't have a clue. I've tried a couple of small blocks bordering the Whanganui River below Taumaranui and only found goats and Reds, so this is the next block I'm looking into in that process.
    Nothing wrong with looking and exploring. I’ll be running a trap line myself. Can’t be bothered going into the bush for Easter...

tanqueray likes this.