Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Pet wallaby.

Pet wallaby.

Whats the best time of year to look for a young one ?
    Somthing that doesn't need bottle feeding .
    Im in Hamilton If anyone can help me out , happy cover any costs incurred .
    Thanks SP

I would take this down if I were you. Its a big No-No. Risk a fine at least. As they are a gazetted pest in New Zealand therefore it is illegal. Places like zoos, wildlife parks and research facilities will have a government permit enabling them to hold in captivity.

Totally agree with scottrods

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    I would take this down if I were you. Its a big No-No. Risk a fine at least. As they are a gazetted pest in New Zealand therefore it is illegal. Places like zoos, wildlife parks and research facilities will have a government permit enabling them to hold in captivity.
    Have you got a link to some rules and regs about this sort of thing? Not doubting you, it's just that I've known plenty of people to have pet possums and all kinds I other "pest" animals.

I did a quick google search but found nothing.

You may be correct , and if the MODS want to pull the thread that's fine . Plenty of responsible people have had them , and possums as pets .
    Council had a note on file that reminded the metre reader too close my gate because I had 2 free range rabbits mowing my lawn ( 1 was 6kg the fatt bastard ).
    Last time I looked , rabbits ,goats ,dogs,cats ,pigs ,and deer were all abit of a pest at some stage.
    ARdave, Woody and Cordite like this.

Have a look at the Bay of Plenty Regional Council website - they have info on pests as "pets".

Ejected
    No point pulling the thread, informative to those not in the know like myself.
    jakewire and stretch like this.

https://www.boprc.govt.nz/news-centr...ests-not-pets/
    http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests/registers/uor
    https://www1.maf.govt.nz/uor/searchframe.htm

Yep, Wallabies are prohibited (although you can seek permission). Maybe dock one first?

Ferrets are the only mammal established in NZ on the Unwanted Organism Register. Good info - never knew any of this.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Not that long ago some guys from Rotovegas, used to shoot the mums to get the joey. These they would then hand rear in 10ltr paint tins to make them tame enough to handle. These would then be on sold to Asia as pets and back to Aussie. Probably they are still doing it. Used to meet these guys whilst I was doing security on Maori trust blocks.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Ive always wanted one as a pet too. I have had some bizzare native/pesty type "pets" over the years and it never occured to me that it may be illegal. As long as youre not harming anyone then go for it. Some laws are just plain fucked up and dont deserve to be abided by.

Someone I know picked up a road kill from Lake Tarawera, and chucked it onto the road near Hunterville. It resulted in quite stir.
    Silly and funny at the same time.
    gadgetman, Tommy and hotsoup like this.

Quade will be looking for a home back here after the world cup
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Shot a lot of Rotorua wallaby in past years for dog tucker and also my own food. Mostly you will not get a young one except from Mums pouch. Feed them only with homogenised milk , sometimes with a bit of glucose. Whole milk or even ice cream will kill them. I used to have my pets hanging upside down in balaclavas hanging on my hut door knob or on a coat hanger at bed time. They tame real quick, and come when called once they accept you as mum. Open your swanni neck and they come to you and hop straight in, like Mums pouch.
    They are petrified of dogs and will die of fright real easy if worried by a dog outside the cage. Always loved them as pets. When grown they love to sit up, hold an apple slice in their hands and nibble away at it,, real cute. They don't kill birds and I am buggered if I can see why they are a pest actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Shot a lot of Rotorua wallaby in past years for dog tucker and also my own food. Mostly you will not get a young one except from Mums pouch. Feed them only with homogenised milk , sometimes with a bit of glucose. Whole milk or even ice cream will kill them. I used to have my pets hanging upside down in balaclavas hanging on my hut door knob or on a coat hanger at bed time. They tame real quick, and come when called once they accept you as mum. Open your swanni neck and they come to you and hop straight in, like Mums pouch.
    They are petrified of dogs and will die of fright real easy if worried by a dog outside the cage. Always loved them as pets. When grown they love to sit up, hold an apple slice in their hands and nibble away at it,, real cute. They don't kill birds and I am buggered if I can see why they are a pest actually.
    Thanks man , coolest post so far.

be afraid, the wallaby is one of the cruelest of animals,
    never trust them, up close you see the menace in their
    cold-blooded eyes, dozens of tourists have gone missing around
    the rotorua lakes over the years,

you'd be naive to think that wallabies aren't involved, we've had packs of wallabies
    tear our pigdogs to pieces in many a stand-off, and the okataina wallabies eat kiwis and catch pigeons and tuis..

the tarawera ones you don't want to tangle with, many a hunter has been gored chewed and kicked off and over
    the cliffs down into the lake by rampaging wallabies, so no, don't be catchin' these bastards alive, best medicine for em' is the .577 nitro

Name:  111.jpg
Views: 32546
Size:  195.9 KB
    Last edited by sixpointfive; 19-09-2015 at 02:06 AM.
    wsm junkie, Garret, Dundee and 9 others like this.