Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By PC49
  • 1 Post By PC49
  • 1 Post By MB

Thread: Pig baiting

Pig baiting

Hi folks,

I'm new to hunting goats and pigs - have shot my first one of each in the past few days.
    I chuck all the possums I shoot in a pile at the bush line for the wild pigs to feed on at night.
    I've set up a trail cam so that I will be able to figure out what time they frequent the pile.
    The idea is I'll set myself up 50m away at the right time and lie in wait.

I want to set up a low wattage red LED floodlight over the possum pile so I don't need to use my rifle light.
    It'd be hooked up to a car battery. Do I have the right idea? Any suggestions where I could get a suitable flood light?
    A simple rechargeable one that would last a few hours could possibly work too if the pigs don't arrive too late at night.

cheers
    Nick
    Shearer and Phil_H like this.

Actually something like this rechargable green light with motion sensor might work - https://www.amazon.com/Boar-Light-Ba...ustomerReviews

I like cheap solutions so I reckon a simple 12v 10w led floodlight with a DIY green filter in front would work - https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-f...b7c2f56b1b-002
    Doesn't need a motion sensor to save power if it's running off the car battery.

That looks clever @Phil_H !! I like that they'll come running if I ring a bell lol

Perhaps I could tie bells to the possums' tails
    Phil_H likes this.

Huk
    Have done that numerous times works well,IMO generally, pigs dont seem to be light shy,just use a good torch your only shooting 50 odd mtrs
    good luck ,they can be hard to predict sometimes meaning they dont ALWAYS come out every night same time

MB
    I've done a bit of pig baiting. It can be lots of fun. It can also be the most boring, cold way to "hunt" anything. I recommend a game camera to learn their patterns. Might save you a couple of cold, sleepless nights.
    Micky Duck likes this.