Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Pig Trap almost ready to go....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Ohh....Bugger.

Not what I wanted to hear.....more strengthening needed.

Thanks for that @DavidGunn.

Cheers
    Phil
    Put another waratah between each you have but drive them real deep...a simple trip for the gate can be made using an old gin trap as was used on some deer traps.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    @Phil_H your 12 ga / 45 ACP pig dispatcher is ready for action
    Thanks for that @akaroa1,
    send me a PM with details and what I owe you and what you want as payment and I will be there.

Cheers
    Phil

Why trappin and not shootin?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Pigs will be relatively quite till they spot you, then you will be glad you restrengthened the trap.
    Thanks for that @Gapped axe,
    I have been working on different strategies for dispatching them.

One of them involves either approaching quietly up a small river course about 50 meters away and dispatching them at a distance.....and then if the wind is blowing from the opposite direction I can do much the same thing from the other side behind a fence-line of mature flax.

Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Why trappin and not shootin?
    All a matter of logistics. Still being a shift worker I can always put food in the trap at sometime during the day but can be a bit pressed to spend time at the paddock in the hope that I will be there when they turn up.

Plan is if, I am able to visit the trap first thing the next morning, set it the night before. If I can't be there to check in the morning, just replenish the food the day before to keep them coming.

\Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    All a matter of logistics. Still being a shift worker I can always put food in the trap at sometime during the day but can be a bit pressed to spend time at the paddock in the hope that I will be there when they turn up.

Plan is if, I am able to visit the trap first thing the next morning, set it the night before. If I can't be there to check in the morning, just replenish the food the day before to keep them coming.

\Cheers
    Phil
    Good luck. Hope you get that big bugger.
    Phil_H likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

In my experience with the pig trap we had on the farm growing up, when you approach the trap they tend to charge at you, so you might lose more than just the pig if the trap isn't strong enough.

Either way, makes sure your trail cam is all set up to record what happens
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Make sure you leave access to forum account with family member or friend as we don't want to have to wait months for you to get out of hospital to hear what happened
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Make sure you leave access to forum account with family member or friend as we don't want to have to wait months for you to get out of hospital to hear what happened
    Lordie...Lordie.......You guys are starting to scare me.....I thought trapping them was the safest and most sensible solution....think I will most definitely be trying to dispatch them from a distance...unseen....

Cheers
    Phil

Here is a thought for your trap...if the trap was made with a spiral so a pig running around the outside would enter into the spiral and the entry would narrow down and the pig would then push through a small spring loaded gate into the holding pen, the gate would be indistinguishable from the inside and so therefore no escape...more pigs running around the outside would enter the trap as well...there would be no limit to the number of pigs trapped.

When I was culling up Coromandel we found an old pig trap on the property we were shooting at the time so we set it with a goat body for bait. We forgot about it for about a week and when we checked it we could see the door down and as we approached and the dogs started getting excited. When that pig (boar) seen us and the dogs it went ballistic charging the door and I beat you if it could have got out it would have carved us up. No doubt he was hungry after a week and pissed because he couldn't escape.
    A 303 bullet sorted him out.
    Looking at your cage strengthening it up a fair bit would be a good move, there is a lot of power in a decent sized boar. Good luck keep us posted.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Agree with you @DavidGunn.

This is MK 1. I have a friend who is willing to fabricate some steel 'Saloon Doors' for the trap when things slow down for him at his work.....something like this

Name:  Saloon door.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  26.2 KB

They have the same ability to let more than one pig in during the night. My thoughts were a saloon door is preferable to a flap door

Name:  flapdoor.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  28.3 KB

as if there is a pig entering through a flap door, one inside could possibly get out. With a saloon door I can't imagine one would be able to slide past the incoming pig if the doors are being pulled together by a spring.

Anyone with experience or knowledge on such matters, please feel free to add comments.

With MK 2 we will be looking for something more easily assembled/dis-assembled and moved on a domestic trailer.

Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    Another suggestion. Get another couple of sheets of reinforcing mesh and lay on ground within the pen. Ideally it should be there before the perimeter was erected. The floor will help prevent the pigs rooting underneath.
    Yes, on hindsight further mesh on the floor would have been the answer. Am definitely thinking I might lay some deer mesh at least.

Cheers
    Phil

Phil,

On pigs traps used over here we would use a bit more mesh in the pen so it is larger. (sounding like a texan!) To make a gate that will allow it to keep trapping pigs and not require activation, but not let the pigs out, bend the two ends of the mesh around and inwards, sort of like the entrance to a womb/cervix/fishtail (struggling for comparisons). At first you leave the trap open wide and feed the pigs up inside it, allowing them to come and go. After a few days of feeding you close the entrance up so the gap is narrow and they can push their way in, but it is a one way only route. You can get a heap of pigs in in a trap in one sitting if it is big enough.
    See the video (silo mesh trap.) This one is a bit flimsy. No need for a floor if you use plenty of waratahs and ties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBB2OfHvbrc

hot wire out rigger on fence behind your trap...and electric netting all around the paddock leaving just the one gap at a gate ,dont turn it on,when pigs are in paddock,light up the fence and shut the gate.....then shoot them ,pigs hate electric fences more than anything else....if you put a hot wire around paddock they will not come in,Ive seen it change migration pattern that was decades long..eg here this week,they be there next week...untill hot wire went up.