Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Pillow case or game bags?

Pillow case or game bags?

Hey guys what are people using out there pros and cons please. Im usually only out for a day if i do go out. cheers.

Pillow cases from Op shop. Keep them separate from Mum’s genuinely pristine one. Soak in bucket of water/bleach after use and all good for next trip.
    Dublin and Beginnerhunter like this.

Pillow cases are easy in that they fit in your day pack easily and are cheap. I've been using them for years. Make sure you get white ones with 250 thread count to avoid any blowies getting through and so you know how clean they are after washing the cases.
    Beginnerhunter likes this.

Pillow cases are the bees knees. Bone the animal out and throw the meat straight in. Or like I did in the weekend, you can skin the two hind quarters, cover them with a pillow case each and tie them together to carry over your shoulders whilst keeping the meat clean whilst just having the back steaks, shoulders etc in your pack. Options.

Pillow case mate cheap as chips, very compact.

MB
    Pillow cases for me, but I'm a relative beginner too. I've managed to get the back legs, shoulders, tenderloin and back straps from one reasonable sized pig in to two normal pillow cases.

Game bags are just expensive pillow cases.
    Rusky and Beginnerhunter like this.

Thanks guys im always keen for cheaper a option if it works well. Cheers

Cheap pillow cases from warehouse and black bin bags to help keep the good, snot and blood in. Use a sharpie and write something on the pillowcase so the missus doesn't end up sleeping on blood stains one evening!

If you need to carry a whole animall out then strong string through the back of the hocks and tied to turn the animal Into a cool artisan style backpack. Mount your pack on the animal or your front and huff n puff it out of the bush.

Good luck!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Pillow cases are the biz, we hang them in a cool spot if we aren’t walking out immediately then into a thick plastic bag, pillow case and all to keep the pack clean on the way out.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Yep. Let meat cool right down in the cases or over a branch if flies aren't an issue, then into bin bag in pack for walking back out. Just remember the meat needs to be cool BEFORE, not straight into plastic hot.

I find even though my pack is water-resistant and I have a waterproof pack cover, I still line it with a bin bag (old army habit). If successful with the hunt then kit gets smashed down into bag and bin liner gets recycled for cooled meat. Also have taken to keeping a roll of bin bags in boot of the vehicles for when a day hunt goes right (sucks to forget and have to scrub the shit outta boot carpet....multiple times because I am a slow learner).

Should add, I always carry at least 3 decent sized pillow cases in pikau for day hunts.

Name:  IMG_0987.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  1.89 MB
    Rusky, Preacher and RV1 like this.

In summer I'll find a creek bed or river and wet the cases before putting meat in if one is close by. Give it a rinse first, put meat in, and find a shady and cool place to hang for 30 minutes. My theory is that helps cool the meat quicker. No science to prove it but if your wet and stand in the wind it cools your skin down so thought the same would apply.
    When you pack it out in your day bag and carry it the meat will warm up from heat on your back. Stop frequently if it is a long walk and hang out for another 30 minutes.

Pillow cases for me too, they work great

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    In summer I'll find a creek bed or river and wet the cases before putting meat in if one is close by. Give it a rinse first, put meat in, and find a shady and cool place to hang for 30 minutes. My theory is that helps cool the meat quicker. No science to prove it but if your wet and stand in the wind it cools your skin down so thought the same would apply.
    When you pack it out in your day bag and carry it the meat will warm up from heat on your back. Stop frequently if it is a long walk and hang out for another 30 minutes.
    I’m not sure wetting the bag is a good idea, lots of microbes in water. The meat is damp enough to assist cooling.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.