Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joelhenton

Thread: Pirongia Forest Park

Pirongia Forest Park

Took my rifle for a walk in Pirongia this afternoon - didn’t see a single bit of sign... went in at the end of Waite road, worked over to Corcoran then followed the Ruapane track back around. Walked 10km+

Is the area over poisoned? (Was advised there’s to much poison in there)
    Am I to low on the mountain (mostly 300 - 400m)?
    Wrong area to be looking? (Close to home)

Cheers

There's very few deer in Pirongia, except end of Kaniwhaniwha campsite someone (presumably the locals) have released a number of reds. Not many goats around either, cullers been in cleaning them up recently and over last couple of years. Best bets would be around farm edges between Corcoran and Kaniwhaniwha. I've seen 1 deer been taken West of Corcoran carpark right on edge. Saw 14 red hinds running around on the farm next to the Kaniwhaniwha campsite. DOC not happy about that. Shot 2 goats between Mahaukura and Wharauroa tracks around 600m contour about 3 months ago. Way more chances of bumping into animals in the Kaimai Range, there's plenty of deer in there.
    Last edited by joelhenton; 15-03-2020 at 12:09 AM.
    sometimes1 likes this.

I think it get's 1080 again in August after it had the cullers through twice in the last 5 years and if I remember right they shot 600 goats and 1 deer last round. Know someone with 150ha of native bush that backs onto the forest park with nice paddocks along the bush edge and never seen a single deer there in 6 years. Way better places in the Waikato for sure...

Thanks guys - I will certainly be looking for other places I can go (mostly day hunts at the moment until I get some more gear) - need to be accessible by car / foot as I don't have a 4wd.

Yep have friends that do the culling for deer and goats etc regularly. but they did mention that 1080 has been advised for easter period.