Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Piss Poor Nite Vision

Piss Poor Nite Vision

Over the years I would've done as much nite shooting as the next man,both old school quartz halogen & LED.Now I,m not as long in the tooth as the Queen,but reckon I,ve still got a few miles left to go. So here's the thing,apart from muzzle blast rooted hearing,worn out knocked knees,the thing that pisses me off most is progressive diminished low light/nite vision. Ain't no optometrist,but I put it down to too many hours behind the Murupara Moonbeam.And God knows I eat a power of carrots just like my good Mum told me to do.No doubt there's a long winded Latin name for this premature onset.Just wondering if any of you other greying jokers that have done a bit have noticed this ,or is it just a load of bollocks rattling around inside of my head?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Ive done a bit too but I thought it was all the welding flashes over the years.
    Micky Duck and Steelo like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Spoze it's similar damage but by a different source.Maybe not Hocus pocus then?Well remember many long nites,with eyes feeling like piss holes in snow.Hit the scratcher and still have the square white light burning with my eye lids asleep .Would do it all again.Tiger for punishment
    Micky Duck likes this.

age catches up on us all....really started to notice my eye sight deteriating in last 2 years,struggle to read or write now about 50% of the time,trouble focusing within arms length.numerous sets ofglasses/eye crutches around the show now,seem to need them for everything.... still not convinced need them for driving/walking around/everyday stuff yet,can still see fine to do all that,optomitrist gave me set for driving but I find it harder to drive wearing them as depth perception is all up the shit and peripheral vision is sacrificed . am finding others headlights give me trouble now but put that down to them being so much brighter.....the new leds on ford rangers Vs the old mark 3 cortina are literally night n day.......
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Ive done a bit too but I thought it was all the welding flashes over the years.
    My mate whom I reload for has done welding for over 40 years but has pulled back from it but to the loss of the deer population he is slaying them with a Maxtoch. LOL. Doesnt miss welding.

Get thee to an optometrist even if you reckon you don't need glasses. A full eye exam could pick up something that is correctable. As we age there a whole heap of things macula degeneration, cataracts, mild glaucoma or low eyeball pressure that can compromise vision.
    As someone who has worn glasses for 50 years having regular eye exams does have benefits and in the last 10 years my prescription has changed more than in the last 40.
    Trout, Bagheera, mikee and 5 others like this.

Sage advice

As my eyes age. I have spent too much money on a Z5, a guy whole knows his glass (RW) said to me your eyes aren't able to fully appreciate good glass. Ta4that but I do notice the difference. The older you get the more you chase good glass.
    7mmsaum and Trout like this.

To add this conversation with Richard, I expressed my preference for Japanese glass, ie Vixen and Nikon gear I own, considering the price difference, thats when I got told eyes obiviously weren't making the most of good glass.
    Everyones eyes are different sometimes my Leica binos while have good light gathering ability seem to wash everything out, others that have looked threw them love them, so it's up to the individual.

To add this conversation with Richard, I expressed my preference for Japanese glass, ie Vixen and Nikon gear I own, considering the price difference, thats when I got told eyes obiviously weren't making the most of good glass.
    Everyones eyes are different sometimes my Leica binos while have good light gathering ability seem to wash everything out, others that have looked threw them love them, so it's up to the individual.

Diabetes can damage the retina.

As you get older your pupil doesnt open so wide in the dark.

Everyone gradually gets cataracts after the age of 50, some more than others. They cause flare when looking yowards a light like car headlights. Very bad for night vision although depending if the cataract is more in the middle of the lens it can be worse in bright light.

Everyone has difficulty focussing up close as the lens ages and gets stiffer, which makes it harder to read, cook etc by candle light. Candles and Tilley lamps are out for old people; bright smartphones and LED headlights are in.
    Micky Duck and Flyblown like this.

Oh dear....Dusty with a thermal....NOTHING will be safe now!!!!!!!!
    RUMPY likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yeah nar I'll just stick to my boiled to death carrots @ $2 bucks/kg from Pak n Save -a heap cheaper
    Trout likes this.

Some good advice in this thread. Starting and ending with… Go see an optometrist. It is the only “correct” answer.

A couple of examples of correctable problems have cropped up in my family/friends, including a shocker night vision problem for my best mate. He was being a pillock and keeping quiet about the fact that he couldn’t see properly, and his wife wasn’t strong-willed enough to challenge him about his bloody awful driving at night.

He came to visit us and one night we drove into town to collect pizzas. He drove cos I was mid way through servicing my truck. He was kind of unwilling which I thought was odd. On the back road (twisty, dark) he was slowing right down for all moderate corners, really bad. When a truck approached from round a blind bend with very bright headlamps, my old mate just about pulled up to a dead stop. Not good. Righto buddy, what’s going on? You’re driving as if you can’t farkin’ see and giving me the shits!

I got on his case and he fessed up and went to see the eye doctor. Turns out he had cataracts. He has the type associated with steroid meds which he has taken for years due to arthritis. Surgery was 100% successful and I have agreed he can drive into town next time to prove it.

Go see the optometrist.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by bluebaiter222 View Post
    Yeah nar I'll just stick to my boiled to death carrots @ $2 bucks/kg from Pak n Save -a heap cheaper
    Ya know that the carrots is good for eyesight started as a cover story for RAF nightfighter success, they didn't want the germans to know they had started mounting radar in aircraft.

As well is diabetes, high blood pressure can cause eyesight detoriation.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.