Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Plagues of Rats and Mice

Plagues of Rats and Mice

Well I've been working from Dunedin for several weeks now,I've been for my morning walk around the hill to stretch the ole legs, washed me truck polished the wheels all ready for another week pounding the highways of the South Island ,so now I've got nothing to do except have a ramble on here.
    I've been very intrigued by these reports of plague numbers of rats in the bush and now mice as well,large numbers of dead rats washed up on west coast beaches , some say killed by 1080 but apparently not according to Doc, some say they drowned but I would've thought rats are good swimmers .
    I'm reminded of a roar trip into the north western Ruahines ,bout 4or 5 yrs ago been hunting same general area for 10 yrs now, this patictular year we had plagues of mice , they were everywhere,into our tucker ,running over us during the night, it didn't matter if we were down in creek or up on the ridges, they were there
    The next year camping in the same spots ,not a skeerick ,zilch no sign of the blighters and hardly noticed any in recent trips either .
    So I'm wondering if it's ole Mother Nature ,she decides things are a bit out of whack and put things back in balance, if there's that many they must run out of feed pretty quickly and add in a few extreme weather events ,snow ,rain ,freezing temps maybe they don't last long anyway.
    Anyway that's enough rambling from me . Cheers

good thread,,we had pig explosions in the ureweras but once they got too thick next yr down theyd go

Same with Sika. In the Ecology creek they got to plague proportions and got thinner and thinner and started dying. Then the population sort of settled. They did some damage to the bush in the mean time though. This was maybe 1985-90.

It was referred to as "Sika Die Back" by DOC and occurred right through that upper Rangatikei river area but the Ecology seemed to be the worst.

No natural predators except man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Same with Sika. In the Ecology creek they got to plague proportions and got thinner and thinner and started dying. Then the population sort of settled. They did some damage to the bush in the mean time though. This was maybe 1985-90.

It was referred to as "Sika Die Back" by DOC and occurred right through that upper Rangatikei river area but the Ecology seemed to be the worst.

No natural predators except man.
    like that ecology area,,if those turkeys at dept of cnuts were to let hunters land as and when we could have a good go and help the deer out
    Micky Duck likes this.

There was a study done many years ago. The report named "Lake Monk Expedition" I think.
    It studied an undisturbed red deer herd (NZ) and established that the deer found their own stable population level. Can't recall whether NZFS or DSIR did it. The report came out in a tidy publication so could still probably be found.
    Tahr and erniec like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by 264 magic View Post
    like that ecology area,,if those turkeys at dept of cnuts were to let hunters land as and when we could have a good go and help the deer out
    They put a pad in at the mouth eventually but its use was fairly restricted. I used to go in through the saddle in the headwaters via Makorako. Bugger of a walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    They put a pad in at the mouth eventually but its use was fairly restricted. I used to go in through the saddle in the headwaters via Makorako. Bugger of a walk.
    joe keeley used to drop us in a saddle above the mangamaire,,reds n sika of course,,very enjoyable spot(about halfway up the mangamaire but time does cloud the mind)

nature finds a balance and always has, even before we turned up on the scene.

Nature tends deal with things it’s own way but wont be suprised tho if doc use this as an excuse to start bombing areas.

Its true though that NZ's natural balance got dealt a bum hand with the introduction of so many mammals that had no natural predators.

and a double bum hand when we chucked predators into equation with little thought of the concequenses...... I believe mountain lions were looked at...then someone realised they like taste of mutton so that plan was quickly squashed.

Where did you come in from Tahr? Boyd/Mangamingi?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Where did you come in from Tahr? Boyd/Mangamingi?
    3 ways. The Boyd/Managamingi/Island Range walk and Urchin/Thunderbolt and down. Later on I did some trips getting dropped off in the Makorako stream and hoofing it over the saddle into the Ecology. That only took and hour or so.

I once headed off via the polled route off the Desert Rd for Ecology but the hunting was so good mid way I never got to Ecology.

The silliest walk I ever did was to see some mates who were in Ken's hut in the Tauranga Taupo and I went via Kiko Rd and up over the top. That was a tough trip.
    Maxx likes this.

Yep have seen same things with rodents. Remember seeing a plague of rats a few years back too. If you are seeing them out and about there are a million of the wee buggars there. I also noticed the same thing. They were all gone the next year. Problem is that in that time they do huge damage and our natives get hammered in the mean time. When you talk about deer and bush and rodents and mast years etc etc. the 'natural' balance means that a lot of native species disappear. Looking at how sika modify the bush is quite dramatic in places. Broadleaf only grows under a cm in height (below browse height) or out of cliffs. Or in older trees that established when deer were not in numbers. This thread is really at the heart of the confusion and conflict between hunters and conservationists. Lets be honest folks, some hunters still think if the bush still looks green and there are plants growing then things must be OK. And some conservationists believe that one deer is one too many. We need people who speak and understand both languages to interpret for both parties and help find a practical, workable happy middle ground.

More rats on Stewart Island than I have ever seen anywhere. Would have seen over 500 easily last week while we were there. If you sat in the bush for longer than 10 minutes you could guarantee at least one would walk past. Next time I think I'll take a slug gun and go rat hunting instead of deer hunting! A local lady has killed several thousand around Oban thru spring. Theoretically, rats have been there hundreds of years? We watched the rats eating insects on the beach, moss and looking for bugs under sticks. Interesting watching them searching for food.
    Funnily enough we saw hundreds of native birds, including many many young ones. And a huge range of species, I counted over 11 different species of native bird in one evening sitting on a beach waiting for deer. We also saw a few cats (fat ones) and possums.
    I was told Doc are planning aerial Brodi for the Island, not 100% if that's going ahead or not? Might be a bit silly considering Brodi killed some Kaka at the wildlife refuge in Dunedin last week...
    veitnamcam and Mathias like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.