Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 8 Post By Chur Bay
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By svt40
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By longshot
  • 3 Post By bumblefoot
  • 1 Post By bumblefoot

Thread: A positive hunting article in the media

A positive hunting article in the media

I think she's been in the paper before. Good to see hunting portrayed in a positive light.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/ho...id=app-android
    Beaker, Mathias, berg243 and 5 others like this.

wait till the vegan loonies get onto it

that is a great article and has so many points relevant to ALL sections of society...even the vegans.....got to get back to connecting with the land,its good for the soul as well as the body.
    the disconect might well be the "thing" that is buggering up our modern society more than any single other thing....

maybe one day some scientist with list of letters half a mile long will discover this and call it the "missing link",win nobel prize for it and all the trendies will get onto it for 3mths before loosing interest.....

we dont have to wait....
    Phil_H, svt40 and Ftx325 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    that is a great article and has so many points relevant to ALL sections of society...even the vegans.....got to get back to connecting with the land,its good for the soul as well as the body.
    the disconect might well be the "thing" that is buggering up our modern society more than any single other thing....

maybe one day some scientist with list of letters half a mile long will discover this and call it the "missing link",win nobel prize for it and all the trendies will get onto it for 3mths before loosing interest.....

we dont have to wait....
    I see youre familiar with modern psychology research.
    erniec likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post

we dont have to wait....
    Think of the flood of second hand tikkas hitting the market.
    Micky Duck and Yesmate like this.

This article highlights what I think is an important gap in society between Hunters and the hungry. yesterday I read this article;

https://i.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/...ds-in-lockdown

While plenty of us only manage to supplement our meat supply by hunting, there are just as many that shoot more than enough and could give away what they can’t eat.
    I myself am guilty of leaving pest carcasses on the hill because of a full freezer, or of not even going hunting due to the same reason.

Phrases I have also heard in my travels include the like of ‘shoot it and boot it’ or ‘stick it and kick it’.

Meanwhile people in NZ are drinking the water the saveloys were cooked in for sustenance.

Granted that the butchering side of things is time consuming and donating to food banks can tend to become bureaucratically prohibitive, I am sure there must be plenty of people out there for whom a goat/pig/deer carcass dropped off to them would make a huge positive difference.
    If I knew who they were I would gladly donate.

If this idea became a movement of some significance it would go a long way to creating good PR for the hunting community too.

Please note that this might have read as a bit of a rant, I’m not having a go at us as hunters, it’s more of a what if. And I know myself well enough to realise I don’t have the networking acumen to set up such a scheme myself otherwise I would.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I wish they were a bit more up front about the cost of hunting. Yes cheap ppu costs 2 bucks back in the good old days but everything else you need adds up to thousands!

Great article nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    I wish they were a bit more up front about the cost of hunting. Yes cheap ppu costs 2 bucks back in the good old days but everything else you need adds up to thousands! Great article nonetheless
    Yes $2 is an oversimplification, but you sure don't have to spend as much as many on this forum do. And; if you are shooting strictly for the pot it's more economical to hunt goats than deer unless you're really handy to a good spot or have farm access.

For day hunts, even if you buy new, you can pick up a Howa/Panamax package for $899, a Victory knife and sheath, belt bag or daypack and a pair of farm work-boots. Hell; I hunted in Redbands most of the time! Any old farm fleece clothes and basic wet weather gear. Different if you're going deep in on multi day missions then you need better gear. But then again, how much meat can you then bring out?

If you're going on a multi day mission strictly for meat; maybe it's better to work for those days and use the money you've made to go buy some lambs at the saleyards? I'm not talking about recreational hunting, but hunting strictly for the pot where you aim to harvest meat in the most efficient way.

I was (due to caring for ill family members) pretty broke for about 4-years but still hunted. Sure it was recreational; but I had to make it pay as I was on the bones of my arse!. I hunted goats with my Howa mini, a Ridgeline bum bag and an el-cheapo Buffalo River knife (and still used it til I left it behind on my last hunt). And that's about it. If I needed a daypack I used an old Great Outdoors (yes that old!) one. You don't need any flash whizzbang stuff when day hunting for meat. Note; I'm talking about lowland bush and clearings, not alpine etc. Kept the freezer full and it really only cost me gas for a 100km return trip, bullets and time.

I want to live as self sufficiently as possible so had to (still have to) get 2 eater goats per day trip to make it worthwhile. I'm a qualified butcher so costed out 2 goats to show the value. And all costs were a minimal value so it sorta matched what I could buy in the supermarket.

The costing of the meat value (retail) from 2 young goats I took ... It came to $175.84 (pricing very conservatively!). And that was less $19.30 for the leg I had to throw away. The got had been previously shot in the back leg with a .22. Oh; and if you use Premier Game's pricelist the total value soars!

Salami/mince trim; 1.7kg @ $16.60kg; ($28.22)
    Fillets; 900g @ $36.90kg; ($33.21)
    2x forequarters; 1.9kg @ $16.60kg; ($31.54)
    Lean trim for mince/sausages; 700g @ $13.95kg; ($9.76)
    6x shanks; 1.3kg @ $11.70kg; ($15.21)
    2x legs; shanks off (for cider and molasses cured ham); 2kg; @ $19.30kg; ($38.60)
    1x leg; shank on (for Italian dry cured raw mocetta); 1kg; @ $19.30; ($19.30)
    So it is definitely worth it! And that total doesn't include the added value of the hams and salamis etc that are still to be made from the meat
    Moa Hunter, Steelisreal and Ned like this.

Oh; as an aside.... I replaced that Buffalo River el-cheapo knife with a 4" Victory drop point hunter, about $25.99 on special
    Moa Hunter likes this.