Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oneshot

Thread: Possum lure

Possum lure

Hi all

I'm new to possum trapping and after a good lure I can make ??
    Plus anyone know a good place that buys possum fur in Hamilton for a good price, been told it's only $105kg ???

Quote Originally Posted by DanP View Post
    Hi all

I'm new to possum trapping and after a good lure I can make ??
    Plus anyone know a good place that buys possum fur in Hamilton for a good price, been told it's only $105kg ???
    Get the fur first and then worry about the price. If $105 is what they are paying then that is the 'best' price. By the time you have got enough to sell the price will have dropped (Murphy's Law) or they have stopped buying due to Christmas...but never mind you will be first through the door when the new season starts. As for your lure, flour and either curry, aniseed or cinnamon have all been tried and true. Get yourself registered for sale of the possum bodies for the extra income.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Get the fur first and then worry about the price. If $105 is what they are paying then that is the 'best' price. By the time you have got enough to sell the price will have dropped (Murphy's Law) or they have stopped buying due to Christmas...but never mind you will be first through the door when the new season starts. As for your lure, flour and either curry, aniseed or cinnamon have all been tried and true. Get yourself registered for sale of the possum bodies for the extra income.

I have got 3kg of fur, what you mean by registered for sale of the bodies ? What are they worth ?

I used to use a mix of half flour, half icing sugar rubbed up the tree above the leg hold trap, just the white colour alone will attract them. The best smell I found for possums was vanilla essence in a spray bottle, possums will go shithouse for vanilla.
    southernredneck likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DanP View Post
    I have got 3kg of fur, what you mean by registered for sale of the bodies ? What are they worth ?
    Pet food buyers will buy carcases, but you need to be registered as a supplier to show you are not trapping in a 1080 area. Tail on, head on, declawed, gut out (lung & heart still in), no holes in body skin (no lead), frozen or fresh...they were paying around $1.50 a body on average...you say you have 3 kg of fur, then you would have made another $80 - $100 had you taken carcases.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Curry powder and flour mixed swear by it

R93
    I find lure works more visually than any smells.
    A white swipe mark up a tree or near a track will have them more curious than hungry.
    I have another wee trick that works for me and I catch without any smelly lure.
    In saying that. Ground cloves mixed in with flour works well here on the coast.
    You don't need much and it gets licked off of my sets all the time.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I used ground cloves,cinamin and flour but all the possums here have been nuked.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Get bottles of annaseed essence and mix to flour.
    Been trapping for years and by far the best.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I used to use a mix of half flour, half icing sugar rubbed up the tree above the leg hold trap, just the white colour alone will attract them. The best smell I found for possums was vanilla essence in a spray bottle, possums will go shithouse for vanilla.
    Do you mix the vanilla essence with anything ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Pet food buyers will buy carcases, but you need to be registered as a supplier to show you are not trapping in a 1080 area. Tail on, head on, declawed, gut out (lung & heart still in), no holes in body skin (no lead), frozen or fresh...they were paying around $1.50 a body on average...you say you have 3 kg of fur, then you would have made another $80 - $100 had you taken carcases.
    Cool thanks for that, where do I go to get registered ??

I used to have vanilla essence in a spray bottle and give the flour a couple of squirts, you can water it down if you like. works a treat, but possums are not to fussy as obviously people have their favourite lures that all work really well. Rose also works well.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.