Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nor-west

Thread: Preservation Inlet

Banned

Preservation Inlet

A trip to Preservation inlet is on the cards. Anyone hunted this area between Cromarty and Puysegur point?

I understand DOC have maintained the tramways track, but does anyone know if the Wilsons river track from Puysegur is still walkable?

Is the scrub on the plateau tops navigable?

Interested in any experiences in the area.
    Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 21-04-2018 at 10:55 PM.

You taking a 280 Ross or 318 Westley Richards?
    tanqueray likes this.

Banned
    LOL I am still waiting for a .318 to turn up. One day I may have to build one,

CH, can't really help you but someone was going in there hunting from the other pub? a wild rugged area with lots of history. I used to fly cray fishermen in/out of there in the late 80's and the odd load of hunters, landing at low tide on a beach called Spit island in Preservation inlet, tricky place at times with the wind, curved beach, hills at NW end, etc Great fun.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Did a few trips in there 15 odd years ago, good numbers on the track out to the light house, shot a few stags out at the open stuff around the light house.Hunted the lake at the top of long sound.

Banned
    Is that the track from the shelter round to the lighthouse and then Wilson creek? I am thinking of basing out that way from the Landing shed and hunting along Sealers creek 1 and 2 up to Wilson's Creek

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    Is that the track from the shelter round to the lighthouse and then Wilson creek? I am thinking of basing out that way from the Landing shed and hunting along Sealers creek 1 and 2 up to Wilson's Creek
    Yeah that’s easy enough to do, it’s a little tricky from Macnamara to the Knob along the scrubby semi open tops ( swampy and mushy in places ).

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    Yeah that’s easy enough to do, it’s a little tricky from Macnamara to the Knob along the scrubby semi open tops ( swampy and mushy in places ).
    A mate of mine spent 3 weeks in there last year ,did a mish in his inflatable kayak to coal island & back though he somehow lost his oar so that made things a little more exciting , then he basically bush bashed his way along the coast back to tuatapere , im sure he mentioned that he went to look for the old battery in the Wilson so presume he followed the track , next time I see him il ask .
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Yip that's the one.sounds like a good plan.

We were there a couple of weeks ago. Lots of fresh deer sign on the beach and tracks around the point, plus sign all over the grassy areas around the lighthouse. Wind was crap for us though and didn't see an animal.

Banned
    Cool. Good to knoe theres some life in the place!