Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: PSA/Confession

PSA/Confession

Got back an hour and a half ago from a pre roar reconnoitre gone wrong.

Was meant to try fly camping for the first time but it started to rain so off to the mangamuka hut I go. Got there just before it rained heavily luckily.

Saw what I think are wallows and rutting pads and beds. Saw lots of fresh sign but no deer. (Probably moving too fast, too noisy with the wind all over the place).

It all went wrong when I decided to try my luck stalking my way out and hopefully try to come across an animal of some description.

After a while I figured it was getting too late so head back to the track. I missed it twice going east and then west so decided to go west and just bush bash my way out.

It was very steep. Way too dodgy for my liking but I eventually had gone too far to turn back.

Slipped and fell 6 times a few metres down and luckily landed on my bum or feet with nothing broken. Honestly don't know how I managed it.

In hindsight I should have just say tight and called for search and rescue but I trudged on as the GPS said I was only 100 metres away from the farm land.

Longest 100 metres of my life. My secateurs broke so couldn't chop the supple jack.

Scope and my body took a beating. So will need to see if it's busted.

Saw lots of glow worms which was cool. And found a deer trail which was surprising.

So yes. I was silly. Stupid even. And lucky to be without serious injury. I don't plan on making the mistake a second time

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    viper, WallyR, Daithi and 1 others like this.

Some pictures of the trip while it was all goods.

Some one had vandalized the hut sadly.

And a screen shot of where I came out. I was simply 100 metres from the actual track!

Unusually glad to see civilization

Maca49 likes this.

It’s a neat spot that one, shame about the hut. The third to last photo in the second post looks to be a deer bed.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    More meplat, more better.

Lucky alright mate. Good steep learning curve for you though. Is that your navigation set up? Phone with no maps?
    veitnamcam and Russian 22. like this.

northdude
    Now you see the importance of having good gear good on you for still getting out there would of learnt a lot as well
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    It’s a neat spot that one, shame about the hut. The third to last photo in the second post looks to be a deer bed.
    Its not as busy as wairere falls that's for sure but still lots of sign.

Thanks. Hopefully might see one asleep one day!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Lucky alright mate. Good steep learning curve for you though. Is that your navigation set up? Phone with no maps?
    Phone had cached Topo maps too. But I found that the Google maps was quicker with the GPS.

Nah. I have a Garmin Oregon 600 too.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Now you see the importance of having good gear good on you for still getting out there would of learnt a lot as well
    Yup. And following the tracks hahah.

Yup. Not going to be as silly next time.

Gibo likes this.

Good effort mate, god knows I've made some epic fuck ups also in the bush.
    Sometimes it's the only way to learn and remember the lesson.
    You got out under your own steam , lived to hunt another day.
    veitnamcam and Russian 22. like this.

bro you did all good, got out in your own steam sweet as glad you didnt call snr! just bed down for the night if you need too, wrap up in some ferns day light changes everything
    bush can be spooky at night though haha
    Boaraxa and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Good effort mate, god knows I've made some epic fuck ups also in the bush.
    Sometimes it's the only way to learn and remember the lesson.
    You got out under your own steam , lived to hunt another day.
    Do tell....

It is the only way when self taught I reckon. Internet and books can only do so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    bro you did all good, got out in your own steam sweet as glad you didnt call snr! just bed down for the night if you need too, wrap up in some ferns day light changes everything
    bush can be spooky at night though haha
    Thanks bro.

It would have been embarrassing. 100 metres from civilization lol.

I probably should have done that. All sorts of normal sounds get a bit freaky after dark.

There was this bloody possum or deer making a racket on the fire wood box and whenever I went to investigate it ran away! Kept me up for ages.

Most blokes wouldn’t fess up to what you ended up doing and they”d just keep quiet and probably just lie about what happened. So its bloody good to hear your experience as a reminder especially to the youngsters. I live just on the other side of the range and a little to the north from where you were and I know what that must have felt like cos its mongrel country in there alright. Couple of years ago I was going up a stupidly steep spur, not far from where you were but on the east side of the range. Both feet slipped right out from under me, happened so fast and as I was carrying the rifle in both hands I didn’t have time to put put an arm to break my fall and I headbutted a staunch tree root slap bang in the middle of the forehead. Knocked myself clean out. Lucky for me I had a mate following up the spur a couple of minutes behind and he found me face down in the mud. After getting me up and going again I didn’t hear the end of it for weeks. I was bloody lucky I didn’t loose my teeth or land on my nose I guess, that would have hurt. Thanks for posting.
    Beaker, Gibo, Boaraxa and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Most blokes wouldn’t fess up to what you ended up doing and they”d just keep quiet and probably just lie about what happened. So its bloody good to hear your experience as a reminder especially to the youngsters. I live just on the other side of the range and a little to the north from where you were and I know what that must have felt like cos its mongrel country in there alright. Couple of years ago I was going up a stupidly steep spur, not far from where you were but on the east side of the range. Both feet slipped right out from under me, happened so fast and as I was carrying the rifle in both hands I didn’t have time to put put an arm to break my fall and I headbutted a staunch tree root slap bang in the middle of the forehead. Knocked myself clean out. Lucky for me I had a mate following up the spur a couple of minutes behind and he found me face down in the mud. After getting me up and going again I didn’t hear the end of it for weeks. I was bloody lucky I didn’t loose my teeth or land on my nose I guess, that would have hurt. Thanks for posting.
    I figured someone could learn from my mistake. Or remind people to be careful.

You're lucky you're mate was there. Can you drown in mud?

That would've been a permanent reminder ha.

I always carry one of these https://www.gearshop.co.nz/products/...iAAEgJ2IvD_BwE in case I have to spend a night out, better to have a cold night out than hurt yourself. Find somewhere sheltered out of any wind/rain out all your gear on & wait it out.
    veitnamcam, kokako, 308 and 3 others like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    I always carry one of these https://www.gearshop.co.nz/products/...iAAEgJ2IvD_BwE in case I have to spend a night out, better to have a cold night out than hurt yourself. Find somewhere sheltered out of any wind/rain out all your gear on & wait it out.
    As well as a similar product to that I also carry a British Army IPK which I’ve had to use twice due to high river levels and unable to get out before dark, works very well.
    Russian 22. likes this.