Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Public land in the roar

Public land in the roar

Hi all,
    This year will be my first roar and I'm mad keen to get out but I'm a little apprehensive. I don't have the dosh for hiring private land, so public land would be the go and I'm wondering if its too dangerous to head out on DOC land in the roar? I mean, of course there is always some risk involved (public and private) but is the risk so great that its not worth going out? Is it more about where and when (early, mid, late roar) in making things safer, or would you steer clear of public land altogether? Any advice is appreciated, cheers.

This coming year, I mean.

Re: Public land in the roar

Im more concerned about being killed on the roads before the roar even gets here.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    savagehunter likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Banned
    Hey mate im hunting in doc land this roar comming and in the area im hunting in im prob going a week-nd before easter and a week-nd after easter but thts my area your's could go differntly.I recently posed this question to some old salts in my area and this is what they passed on.If you have a few spot's road end's in mind cruze to were there is little or no cars parked and have crack up there.And if your worried about getting plugged buy another hunter its my opinion that you have to worry about your self first and act responsibly in the bush and keep it in mind when you have a rack on your back....,cover it in a yellow high vis vest or something like that.good luck dont miss it,it will be my first as i missed last years.

I hunt public land during the roar, yes getting shot is all ways on ya mind with all the once a year hunters that come out.
    I try to
    walk as far as I can from the road end.
    Never go in at Easter.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Went hunting in the kimais last year on easter. We had the place where we were to ourselfs. Everyone must of thought everyone else would be there so no one went Ask in your local office if theres any weekend only blocks. We have a few here which are great cause we know we should be the only people there

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Hi all,
    This year will be my first roar and I'm mad keen to get out but I'm a little apprehensive. I don't have the dosh for hiring private land, so public land would be the go and I'm wondering if its too dangerous to head out on DOC land in the roar? I mean, of course there is always some risk involved (public and private) but is the risk so great that its not worth going out? Is it more about where and when (early, mid, late roar) in making things safer, or would you steer clear of public land altogether? Any advice is appreciated, cheers.
    closer to the time get in touch we can go up the back of the farm. you should be safe up there and you can crash here for a couple of days if you like.
    R93, Neckshot and phillipgr like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    You beat me to it Mucko, I was going to offer to take Philipgr up the back of Minginui. I haven't sorted my dates out yet but having had the last two year stuffed up, I will be there for at least a week. will be hunting from a road end but likely to spend a few nights out under a fly
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I'll take you up on your offer Rushy
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I'll take you up on your offer Rushy
    Then after Christmas I will need to take a good hard look at a calendar Dougie. Start some planning.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

I hunted doc land last roar in the ruahines, was my first roar . Was the first car there, passed two hunters on the track out, 7 cars in the car park gulp. Went back the next weekend and shot my first stag so it was well worth it , and ill be doing the same this roar

Hunting private land is all i have ever done in the Roar. Have even hunter clements during the roar. Wear blaze or blue and you should be ok.

R93
    I have never hunted private land during the roar, ever. Nowhere near as many people as the North Island here on the coast, but there is the odd Hillbilly to watchout for.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    but there is the odd Hillbilly to watchout for.
    With two wooden teeth too big for his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    You beat me to it Mucko, I was going to offer to take Philipgr up the back of Minginui. I haven't sorted my dates out yet but having had the last two year stuffed up, I will be there for at least a week. will be hunting from a road end but likely to spend a few nights out under a fly
    Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    closer to the time get in touch we can go up the back of the farm. you should be safe up there and you can crash here for a couple of days if you like.
    You guys are the best. I'll definitely give you a buzz mucko and if things don't work out, I'll PM you too Rushy. I'd like to meet both you (Rushy) and Dougie at some point at least, but what better way to make a friend than hunting the roar with them? haha Man, I can't wait!