Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By seagers
  • 3 Post By seagers

Thread: Pureora

Seagers

Pureora

hi all,
    Was looking at going for a walk this weekend with my vizsla into the bush shes is just starting out and need to get her onto some deer, havent hunted around here at all but just wanting some information to see if we are on the right track.
    Was looking at going in from the south end, either up the timber trail from ongarue road and have a look around the clearings and on sunny face. or head up towards hauhungaroa hut and walk the tops. or am i looking tin the wrong place?
    usually hunt down ruahines way but that place is tied up for a while and need some deer in front of the dog to get her going.

hunt up the heads of hauhangaroa,,compass or gps,,bloody beaut place

Lost For Time
    Quote Originally Posted by seagers View Post
    hi all,
    Was looking at going for a walk this weekend with my vizsla into the bush shes is just starting out and need to get her onto some deer, havent hunted around here at all but just wanting some information to see if we are on the right track.
    Was looking at going in from the south end, either up the timber trail from ongarue road and have a look around the clearings and on sunny face. or head up towards hauhungaroa hut and walk the tops. or am i looking tin the wrong place?
    usually hunt down ruahines way but that place is tied up for a while and need some deer in front of the dog to get her going.

I'm the same boat as you. How old is your pup ?

I've hunted in pureora a couple of times, Found as much deer sign as I've seen in the kaimai's but that's about all.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt !

You could try the Waihora lagoon area, nice country in there, there are occasional clearings to check out some are a bit boggy tho, but you should find sign around them anyway. Might be a less busy than the areas around Piropiro.

Seagers
    hey bush hunter, pup is 8 months and shes a hungrain vizslaName:  dog.jpeg
Views: 1057
Size:  87.3 KBName:  dog1.jpeg
Views: 1059
Size:  127.9 KB
    yeah it will be my first time hunting in there, just wanting to get some animals down in front of her.
    Nick-D likes this.

Seagers
    good walk on Sunday, Heaps of sign of deer. Ended up shooting a good eating pig.
    dog thought it was great fun. cheers for evey ones help.
    jared
    Bagheera, BushHunter and Cspence like this.

Lost For Time
    Quote Originally Posted by seagers View Post
    hey bush hunter, pup is 8 months and shes a hungrain vizslaAttachment 38616Attachment 38617
    yeah it will be my first time hunting in there, just wanting to get some animals down in front of her.

My HV is 11 months now, Plan on hunting Pureora's more, Not to far to travel there and now starting to no certain area's better.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt !

Pureora is pretty hard hunting in midwinter and mid summer. If you taking a fresh pup aim for somewhere there is less thick/ noisey bush
    As excited dog is hard to keep quiet in tight bush.
    SOMETIMES I QUESTION MY SANITY......OCCASIONALLY IT ANSWERS BACK .!