Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Pureora North Block Ranginui road

Pureora North Block Ranginui road

Hey team, thought id share my walk the other day in the above title, i'm a long time pork hunter turning venison hunter, I'm from taranaki so not a lot of venison running around publicly so i find my self traveling in search.. i went for a look up the north Pureora block, went for a look up the access track off Ranginui rd and its fair to say there is stuff all animal sign on the clearings around any of the tracks a little bit of hare shit other then that nothing really. So i headed south into the bush around the Waipapa north track area which isn't realy a track anymore markers are missing or wind blown trees have collected them on there way down, managed to start seeing little bits of deer sign around came across some old wallow which none of had been used since the last roar id say if longer..very little pig sign also an what bits i did come across looked very old.. there was how ever a bit of bird noise in particular a very large type of bird with a hell of a scwalk/scream almost with a parrot like sound,
    I think i will look for another area with more animal numbers for the roar.
    ariki likes this.

I was in the area on Saturday and found the same. Was very little sign, did see a couple piglets cross the road but that was it.

There are reasonable animal numbers in some areas there, that is reasonable for a 1080 thrashed area. But anywhere the "bonnet hunters" can get to is pretty well thrashed.

Did you hunt the old cycle track?i was in the areacouple weeks ago after the rain and bugger all sign seen as well.

Going for a look now, will report back tomorrow.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Double_massive View Post
    ... a very large type of bird with a hell of a scwalk/scream almost with a parrot like sound,
    Probably a kaka?
    tiroatedson and Micky Duck like this.

i would say so heaps of berries on the trees at the moment and on the ground good for pigs to

Yea heaps of those noisy parrots there at the moment.

Well, quite a bit of fresh sign in the swampy areas, which is what I expected after the long dry spell. An evening with zero wind which made it very hard for the dog who was very keen. The bonnet hunters were about as usual.

@ Tetawa deer sign or pig?

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Well, quite a bit of fresh sign in the swampy areas, which is what I expected after the long dry spell. An evening with zero wind which made it very hard for the dog who was very keen. The bonnet hunters were about as usual.
    Whats been the latest (past few years) 1080 campaign in the North Block - South Block to if you know

There's never been a lot of animals living in the tall forest in the Ranganui Block, even way back before it was 1080ed. There is always a few around the swamp edges to the north and along the farm edge to the south though, but overall there are far better places to hunt in Pureora.
    tetawa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Double_massive View Post
    @ Tetawa deer sign or pig?
    Deer, but saw a pig ,the whole 5kg of it. I was off Select Loop rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Whats been the latest (past few years) 1080 campaign in the North Block - South Block to if you know
    They haven't done the North Block for a couple of years or three. Must be the same for South. Must be due.
    Sarvo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Was talking to a "bonnet hunter" that I know the other night, he stated that the deer numbers are better on the South side. He was going on the visuals he has while "bonneting" which he seems to do as a full time occupation.
    Bushbuck123 likes this.