Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Pureora timber trail

Pureora timber trail

Anyone done any missions from piropiro flats along the timber trail bike track?looking at taking the 7 yr old and a couple of his mates for a camp at the flats and doing some biking along the trail,looks like it might be an easy way to access some nice springtime hunting spots,seen the pictures of the massive bridge thought it might be worth an evening hunt come springtime while the mums look after the kids in the evening.any info appreciated.

She’s pretty busy if the bike trail. It’s worth going to see the bridge but not to hunt it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Have to agree it’s worth the walk to see the bridge...don’t know about hunting around there.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Won’t be hunting on the bike trail,just using it for access,will stash the bike and hunt once a few hundred meters into the native.mostly just be cruising with the boys during the day then hunt last light in the evenings.
    Shearer and BeeMan like this.

i have had a nosey south of the bridge years ago and there are some good spots to fly camp and hunt away from the track i would like to spend more time over there but have been preoccupied with other productive spots that get less traffic

There is some nice looking bush you walk through past the bridge. Haven't hunted in there though. Waione tram track off the main track looks good too. Takes you down to a nice stream. Might be a fair way for the young fulla though.

Head off the track at what they are calling Cabbage Tree clearing (we called it the Potakataka clearing) towards the Waione
    You will hit clearing as you drop down near river level - we called this Carrols
    There is not a lot of up river hunting as it tightens up and is actually not nice - but down river is good and accross river I presume our old Quad track is still there and will take you up onto a level of good Tawa.
    If you keep going up this track you will leave Tawa and go into the original Old Totara workings that is predomintly Tawhara and this goes all the way up to the range.

My old camp was on the edge of the Tawa/Tawhara at 2400'

Not sure on Deer numbers now - but even given the fact its been soaked in 1080 the past 25-30 years - I beleive from farmer mates in the Ongarue region there are still Deer there in resonable numbers.
    BeeMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Head off the track at what they are calling Cabbage Tree clearing (we called it the Potakataka clearing) towards the Waione
    You will hit clearing as you drop down near river level - we called this Carrols
    There is not a lot of up river hunting as it tightens up and is actually not nice - but down river is good and accross river I presume our old Quad track is still there and will take you up onto a level of good Tawa.
    If you keep going up this track you will leave Tawa and go into the original Old Totara workings that is predomintly Tawhara and this goes all the way up to the range.

My old camp was on the edge of the Tawa/Tawhara at 2400'

Not sure on Deer numbers now - but even given the fact its been soaked in 1080 the past 25-30 years - I beleive from farmer mates in the Ongarue region there are still Deer there in resonable numbers.
    Gee, won't be room to park there next weekend.
    Friwi and Sarvo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Gee, won't be room to park there next weekend.
    its ok ..... cant get a quad over the bridge so it will still be quiet

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    its ok ..... cant get a quad over the bridge so it will still be quiet
    I am sure Tetawa has far better access points into Pureora than Piro Piro Flats
    Bridge meant to be pretty impressive and cost 500K - I think I heard

just lamenting the good old days before the bridge ..... the river crossing on to the old horse track ...

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    just lamenting the good old days before the bridge ..... the river crossing on to the old horse track ...
    Yes - I heard a few horror yarns Re the Horse track up out of the Maramataha - I never used it, was a bit earlier than my arrival was used then a select few got access through private land and in came the Quads
    Not many more came in on horses after that

I used to hunt near Piropiro many years ago and rode the timber trail in 2015. I'm guessing there is some good hunting spots not far off the track (the deer don't know what the track is and they get used to the noise of MTBers soon enough). If the deer numbers are still ok in there it would be well worth a poke around in likely looking places not too far off the track.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I have hunted the wairere falls area for years and have shot plenty of deer a stones throw from the main north /south track,Used to hunt the kitimaringi loop in piropiro as well and the deer were never far from the road,reason the cycle track will be similar.i think they get used to people being around just become a bit more nocturnal.

Last time I was in there no luck and there`s a bloody big hut across from the camp now. I was thinking of going into the north block around Ngaroma rd and park my caravan some where in there. There`s some nice spots off the Ketemaringi road and up by the Okauaka stm bridge on the right. Allso a early walk up Totra/ Ketemaringi track.