Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By KiwiinSeattle
  • 2 Post By R93

Thread: Quantum XQ50 Thermal*

Quantum XQ50 Thermal*

I have got the Quantum XQ50 Thermal*hand held which is an awesome piece of kit are the any smart people know if or how to use the hand held through the scope as I see alot of people are using a dedicated thermal scope?

You have the dedicated hand held model. Pulsar make the Core model that works as a hand held thermal scope and can clip on the front of your rifle scope to give you "thermal rifle scope" capability. The Core works in theory but is not practical in the field.
    Sarvo likes this.

Better tell the 240 sambar that I have shot for pet food in the last 3 months that the core isn't practical in the field. And the 400+ rabbits in the previous 4 months plus 40 odd foxes

Quote Originally Posted by Ackley View Post
    Better tell the 240 sambar that I have shot for pet food in the last 3 months that the core isn't practical in the field. And the 400+ rabbits in the previous 4 months plus 40 odd foxes
    Yea - but Sambar are that big you couldn't miss with your eyes shut

Seriously @Ackley - interesting to hear what you say.
    When I 1st got interested in Thermal the Core FXD 50 was what got my attention, but guys on the USA Forum and British Forum made me think different so went Handheld and light on top of scope
    Now have XP Handheld and Apex XD as dedicated scope.

So you have had no issues with holding Zero ???
    I know the core as a Handheld was a great unit back before the XP came out.

I was chatting to a guy in Hokitika just last week, and he uses both a dedicated thermal scope on his AR10 and a Core as a handheld/emergency type scope setup.
    Judging by the impressive antler collection and chiller full of deer, I would say they both work very well
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

R93
    So you have averaged over 2 deer a day everyday for 3 months?
    Impressive.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    KiwiinSeattle and Sarvo like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Ok, the way the core is promoted is that you first use it as a spotting scope and then when you identify your target you can attach it to your rifle scope and shoot the identified target.

If you are using it this way every time, I would like to understand the conditions that you are working with to achieve this success.

For those persons interested in this discussion but not familiar the product have a look at this video - there are four components that need to be put together to achieve this switch from thermal monocular to to thermal rifle scope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_30DOcq5Ef4

I am not questioning that the product works as intended on both counts (I had one out on demo for a week) but in my opinion from that experience, I did not find it practical.
    Preview

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm-- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

T.S. Eliot

Sorry for the slow reply have just spent 3 nights shooting and a day more sleeping 12, 11, and 8 had to stop at 3am to head home 3rd night. All deer head shot mostly 80-160yds. I am using a pulsar handheld helion xq50 for spotting and leaving the core on the scope because this is easier but have done it all using the core until funds were available for a hand held. Holding zero is not a problem it only has neaded to be moved one click left in the last 6 weeks of shooting. My shooting mate, his deer were not included in my tally, has a trail and is having a lot of trouble with it holding zero. A frost mucks it up every night Cheers Ackley By the way I plan to purchase a 2nd core to put on a 223 for fallow and red shooting as all sambar are done with a 308