Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Queens chain

SGR

Queens chain

Getting out this weekend and wanting to clear a query up. Accessing public land through a river bed in Canterbury (key access for the gate from a station ) , obviously heading in to the public land it looks a wee way in . On one side of the river a few km in its doc land then Eventually all doc land . Question I have is - if there was to be an animal in the riverbed along the way is it fair game ?

The queens chain is a tricky thing. How good is your understanding of it? Not every stream/river has it and lots of waterways are actually over private land.

Here's a brief introduction:
    https://www.walkingaccess.govt.nz/knowledge-base/rivers-lakes-and-coast/access-along-rivers-lakes-and-the-coast/#:~:text=%5E%20Top-,What%20is%20the%20'Queen's%20Chain'%3F,is%20not%2 0a%20legal%20term.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

SGR
    Yeah haven’t actually looked into the technicalities of it , I kinda was thinking if there’s doc land one side and private the other side the river bed was kinda free game but you wouldn’t touch anything if there isn’t public land around

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SGR View Post
    Getting out this weekend and wanting to clear a query up. Accessing public land through a river bed in Canterbury (key access for the gate from a station ) , obviously heading in to the public land it looks a wee way in . On one side of the river a few km in its doc land then Eventually all doc land . Question I have is - if there was to be an animal in the riverbed along the way is it fair game ?
    Assuming that the riverbed is crown land to start with, unless it is actually part of a hunting area then no you cannot discharge a firearm there
    Tikka7mm08 and Kimber 7mm-08 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber 7mm-08 View Post
    The queens chain is a tricky thing. How good is your understanding of it? Not every stream/river has it and lots of waterways are actually over private land.

Here's a brief introduction:
    https://www.walkingaccess.govt.nz/knowledge-base/rivers-lakes-and-coast/access-along-rivers-lakes-and-the-coast/#:~:text=%5E%20Top-,What%20is%20the%20'Queen's%20Chain'%3F,is%20not%2 0a%20legal%20term.
    Good link.
    Readers should also have a look at Paper Roads (Unformed Legal Roads) - another minefield.
    Danny likes this.

The so-called 'Queens Chain' is dependent upon the age of the title. All of the early land titles did not have it, and where rivers/creeks formed a boundary line then adjoining titles usually owned to the centre. Long established properties that have been handed down without any subdivision usually don't have it. A search on public access areas on the Walking Access NZ website will show purple areas for 'Queens Chain' and other public access. Also bear in mind that shooting in many riverbeds is prohibited because of the ease of public access, vehicles, etc.
    Tikka7mm08 and Kimber 7mm-08 like this.

Queens chain doesnt apply to some areas on some rivers/streams around Canterbury (or Christchurch at least). Some of it is "Maori access only". Ive been told of a couple of different stories in the past where people who have been walking up the sides of the river for fishing have stumbled onto "Maori access only" land up areas of the Waimak and have had the shit beaten out of them and their gear taken for their efforts.

I would get confirmation of public land before chancing it.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

SGR
    I’ll play it how I normally would and just wait till I’m in public land 100% , thought I’d ask the brains trusts opinion but it doesn’t seem worth the risk , Murphy’s law I’ll see a 40 inch 12 atleast I’ll have my camera
    Tahr likes this.

I wouldn't get too bogged down with the technicalities. My advise is to use lots of common sense and an abundance of caution. If there is any doubt, just walk on by.

The relationships with adjacent farmers'/land owners' and a clean record are far more important than a bit of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post

The relationships with adjacent farmers'/land owners' and a clean record are far more important than a bit of meat.
    100% agree. Things are only going to get tougher for us in terms of background checks, vetting, etc. Personally would not want to jeopardise my future licence renewal.

The bottom line is your need the landowner's permission, regardless of Regional Council, doc, or private. Hydro zones (what people call the Queens Chain) are waterways that could have been navigated by boat, punt etc etc. Even then, the adjacent landowner has an "assumed right" to occupy the riverbed to the centerline. This is why there are often Marginal Strips up edge side, these protect the stream/river from the adjacent landowner from claiming they occupy it (as normally allowed under the AMF).

Regardless, the AMF and the "assumed right" has never really been challenged when it comes to access. However, it still doesn't mean you can legally shoot on it. The best option is to have a yarn to the station manager and get his ideas on it (given he would be the one trying to take you for a skate if caught).
    Moa Hunter likes this.

In simple terms, you require the consent of the landowner/occupier to hunt.........and that's what a permit from DoC provides for PCL. Unless the river bed is also included within the 'permitted area' then you don't have that permission....
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    In simple terms, you require the consent of the landowner/occupier to hunt.........and that's what a permit from DoC provides for PCL. Unless the river bed is also included within the 'permitted area' then you don't have that permission....
    The above. Your DOC permit gives you permission to hunt in the areas that are stated on the permit...ie open hunting permit area.
    If the riverbed isnt included on the map as a open hunting area i would say you not allowed. Some areas of public land might be DOC but might not be a area thats covered
    by your permit ie isnt a open hunting area hence no hunting(just access etc) Easy way just ask the station owner,
    Moa Hunter likes this.

LBD
    Another interesting thing about the queens chain that many do not realize.... if the river has shifted after the queens chain was established... the queens chain does not move with the river.... I know this first hand having river front property where the queens chain is now nearly on the other side of the river.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

A question asked of the Queens chain

"What happens if I want to take my dog or gun or four-wheel drive vehicle there?
    You must ask the landowner for permission first. The policy is only for walking access. It is not for people with guns, people with dogs, people with vehicles, or people with motorbikes or mountainbikes."