Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By planenutz

Thread: Queenstown goats

Queenstown goats

Out of curiosity are the goats on Gorge Road on the left heading just before going into Queenstown and the ones at the top of the gondola wild or farmed?
    Two years ago saw 2 Fallow in the same spot in Gorge Road where the path leads in from the road

Check it out with DOC would be your best bet . Bow?

Forgot to load a photo. The ones in Gorge Road looked in better condition
    Was passing through and back home now

Name:  15038CFD-4D0B-43D1-938B-0CAB10154440.jpeg
Views: 466
Size:  1.52 MB

There sure plenty around, saw heaps rockclimbing near arthurs point. Asked the council about it and got told that its to close to residential areas so a no go

I'm up there for work regularly and have asked plenty of people. It's a no go to many people and houses about. And yep these ones are wild

Sent from my SM-A505GN using Tapatalk

Thought they may be wild as the ones in Gorge Road were in the same Reserve as the Fallow deer a couple of years ago
    Not interested in shooting them more surprised how many so close to town. Bit like the chickens in Titirangi

They are definitely all wild but as reported above they are largely protected by their proximity to residential properties and very popular walking tracks. The local council have the occasional clean ups but often to the protests of the animal lovers. The goats run the gauntlet between being seen as something intriguing, something to help clean up the scrub, and something of a pain in the ass when they get into peoples back yards.

Don't get caught trying to shoot the goats on Gorge Road. The property owners are very sensitive to unauthorized attempts to cull the goats and you're almost certainly going to end up answering to the AOS squad.

This time of the year the goats are more noticeable as they come down low to feed on the first of the spring grass. I enjoy sitting down with a brew and watching their behavior through binos. I find them quite entertaining. I'm sure goats have a sense of humour sometimes.
    Uplandstalker, Mathias and dannyb like this.

Guy I know did some culling on goats on that steep rocky block on the E side of Gorge Rd (Arrowtown-Queenstown road) not that far back.
    Z

Dogs mow them down real quick
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017