Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By joe.358win
  • 6 Post By Bagheera
  • 1 Post By kawekakid
  • 1 Post By Uplandstalker

Thread: question of calibre

question of calibre

planning my first trip to NZ next year to chase chamois or Tahr,wondering what rifle I should bring and what bullet weights work best.I own a 30-06 or a 223,they are my choices.I'm leaning to the 30-06,but I see that alot of people use the 223 in NZ

If you are after tahr then the 30/06 is the choice. A big bull tahr is pretty tough.

Yep, bring the .30-06, know your trajectory of your selected load and it'll do all you need.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

cheers stug,what sort of weight are they.I chase sambar from time to time using 150g pills

Just in the throws of getting a scope for it ATM.Chose a Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42 with ballitic plex,I was on a budget and this seemed to me to be a good buy
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joe.358win View Post
    cheers stug,what sort of weight are they.I chase sambar from time to time using 150g pills
    A bull can go 300lbs and the skin on their shoulder can be like the shield on a boar, plus you want to drop them on the spot because if they get in to the bluffs etc you might not recover them. A good 150gr will work on a bull.

As said, 3006 150gr and x14 scope will be good. Chamois are a lot smaller than sambar so dont use a bullet thats too hard and deep penetrating. Even a tahr needs expansion and you wont always be shooting a big bull.

Test your trajectoty to 300m and bring over a calculated drop chart set for 5 degrees C and 1500m altitude with estimates for 45 deg angle and 10 m/s crosswind just in case.

Also the hills are biggrr than you have in Vic so check out the post here on getting fit stepping out with Philllipo.
    jakewire, kiwijames, ebf and 3 others like this.

+1 on the 30-06 they are amazing animals and if you miss the plumbing by just a little they take alot of putting down and as above will get to some pretty nasty country good luck

Thanks for the replies,I had a look at "Stepping with Phillipo",bloody good laugh,but at the same time shows what dedication is required to get fit and make the trip worth while.
    One of my friends is over there ATM chasing a tahr,he is nowhere near fit,but he does enough hunting during winter to at least have some hill climbing in his legs

Banned
    Just in the throws of getting a scope for it ATM.Chose a Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42 with ballitic plex,I was on a budget and this seemed to me to be a good buy
    Good choice on scope . I may get another two
    joe.358win likes this.

I have one or two of these. Great value for money and more than capable for the purpose of hunting Tahr.
    joe.358win likes this.