Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think needs to be done with the "Hunting & Wildlife" mag.

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it as is, I don't mind paying for the H&W mag.

14 25.45%
  • Ditch the mag & take the dollars off my subs.

13 23.64%
  • Ditch the mag & invest those funds into other NZDA thingy's.

28 50.91%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: A question for NZDA members

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar

A question for NZDA members

Got the latest edition of the "Hunting & Wildlife" mag in the mail and have be browsing through it during smoko.

To be honest, I find this mag a pretty crappy & many of the articles in it like the "long - range hunting" ( as mentioned in another thread on here ) are just out of date opinions by old boys still stuck in the 50's, here's an idea stop telling people what "not to do" & instead - show em how to do it properly.

So my question is to all paying NZDA members, would you sooner ditch this mag & put those funds else where or save yourself some dollars on ya membership subs ?

I reckon the best idea would be bring back the national news letter & just include articles from the regional monthly news letters etc. I'd like to know how much this poxy thing costs each member.
    Last edited by Philipo; 21-03-2017 at 09:56 PM.
    Eyesplice, Hunt4life, Huk and 1 others like this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Will not be renewing my membership anyway. I've had a gutsful of my local branch committee. It's dead in the water.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Haven't read not received any mags from the NZDA in years.
    To be honest. Never knew they had one.
    Beaker likes this.

I threw mine straight in the bin when I saw that opinion piece by Mr Orman.

Agree with ya 100%, I haven't renewed so far, might just get the range card.
    JoshC likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Nzda, I joined for 1 year when I came back to NZ, went to a few meetings, tried to 'connect' with a few, found it to be a old boys club. Didn't renew.
    If I did more hunting or did things their insurance covered, yes I would rejoin for this coverage only. Would advise to request policy statements though.... you might be surprised what is not covered, or what is covered by other memberships, ie pnz .
    JoshC and Hunt4life like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I threw mine straight in the bin when I saw that opinion piece by Mr Orman.

Agree with ya 100%, I haven't renewed so far, might just get the range card.
    I'll travel further to shoot, and join Auckland Shooting Club as soon as they'll let me.
    Beaker likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Joined Taupo Branch to enjoy one great range, living in Tauranga I won't be able to attend meeting. I'm a and older guy and don't agree with old guys and long range hunting, but do agree this addition, my second was crappy.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Nzda, I joined for 1 year when I came back to NZ, went to a few meetings, tried to 'connect' with a few, found it to be a old boys club. Didn't renew.
    If I did more hunting or did things their insurance covered, yes I would rejoin for this coverage only. Would advise to request policy statements though.... you might be surprised what is not covered, or what is covered by other memberships, ie pnz .
    Had similar experiences with two different clubs. Wouldn't bother even trying to join again. Dads army?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beaker likes this.

I joined 3 or 4 years ago mainly to access a fantastic range facility and for the liability insurance.
    Rejoined this year but sadly due to on going range access issues no longer use the range very often (well not this year anyway).

Have gone back to using the one I used before joining as it much better suits distance shooting . its also much easier to access at times that suit me
    stingray and deer243 like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Fulla
    Only there to use the range, and have to be a full paying member for that. Feel much the same as other posts.
    Feel sorry for the guys that have the range ticket and work all week and can only get there on the weekend, where another club uses it or the next weekend when its open to the public. And that cycle continues. Yet since the other club the price hasn't dropped and there stuck with a busy range every weekend.

This mag used to have the best articles but NZ Hunter put a bomb under the other commercial mags and they've all raised their game out of sight over the last 5-10 years. H&Wild is now lagging far behind.

Partly its lack of commercial focus and the whole NZDA national org has somehow lost its way but is now being built up repaired a bit at a time.

Largely its due to members not writing articles and leaving it to older well respected stalwarts who can only say so much in a years writing.

Suggestions:
    It's up to members to write stuff and up to the editor to publish it. Stories sent in but never printed or delayed a year really put off those willing to contribute.
    More technical articles eg similar to NZ Hunter
    Should be at the forefront of reporting on the mountain beech and save the birds, predator free NZ, TB Free, biosecurity CWD, lyme, escapee wallabies, access firearms safety and what not
    More political and ethical debate - doesn't have to be all NZDA policy - opinion pieces and debate should go in.
    NZDA should lead with info on wapiti and other trophy development not leave it to NZ Hunter.
    Good reports of NZDA activities (HUNTS and range work)
    Not so many hunting stories. ( I hate reading about other people shooting deer when I havent myself)
    Hunting accident reports and lessons.

I think electronic only is a big backward step. If mere commercial mags can flourish why cant one run by the biggest hunters organisation with hundreds of members do even better ?
    Last edited by Bagheera; 21-03-2017 at 10:33 PM.

I only joined to use the range tho having said that Nelson does have some excellent meetings/speakers just at times I cannot attend usually.

As for the mag I did use to enjoy it but after moving house I didn't get it for a couple of years and have just got the last two issues....haven't opened either of them but that is a reflection on me and where my interests lie at the moment rather than the mag itself.

Dunno if I will renew as range access is difficult now with new forest owners and the amount of shooting I am doing just doesn't justify it.
    kokako and mikee like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Bagherra is right on the money

for a start yes the magazine is a fair waste of time and money , the nzda national body know this and changes are going to be made in the near future.
    in terms of the content, as above, if you want to see good stuff, then why not write an article? they pay good coin for good articles ($100 a page)
    referred to as an old boys club, well why not get stuck in, get involved and try and change that?

the NZDA have to be careful they dont fall behind the times, its already happening and theres plenty of people and media outlets that are quite easily walking all over things they SHOULD be doing to influence hunter's voice and rights in NZ at this time.
    FRST likes this.
    #BallisticFists

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    might just get the range card.
    Didn't realise this was an option. Was going to join tvda this winter , range time was my priority
    But a range card might be a better option for me

I agree with some of the above comments and can understand why you started this thread. With all due respect to Tony that article deserves some intelligent and respectful responses, it's way off the mark and contains so many inflammatory and emotional statements.
    I plan to write a letter to the editor, I urge those of you who are a member to do the same.
    The magazine needs a major overhaul, a new editor and a fresh start.
    That article must have pissed off so many of thier members, talk about being out of touch!
    Philipo likes this.