Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 15 Post By Hunting Dad
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 2 Post By Hunting Dad
  • 2 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By 223nut

Thread: Rakiura

Rakiura

Spent 6 nights on Stewart Island in March. Went to a less popular block on the NW circuit.

All the typical info and approaches that people suggest did us well. Between the 4 of us we saw 8 Whitetail and shot 6.

Coastal. Lower altitude. FFS go slower than you've ever gone and sit, sit, sit and wait. You're not going to stalk them in all that crown fern unless you're a ghost...which is what they are.

One little bugger followed my trail into a know I was sitting and watching. Looked over my sholder and it was 3m away eating some lichen off a tree. Spun slowly and boom. It became dinner.

Another wee thing popped up 2m in front of my while I was sitting admiring the scenery. Fair to say my heart was in my mouth and it got away.

Magic spot, needless to say. Get in there and do your bit to get the herd down. One doe we shot was skinny as.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Tentman, GWH, Husky1600 and 12 others like this.

Nice. Good work.

Sounds like a great trip in a major spot, well done
    Hunting Dad likes this.

Sure did Elrond. With pleasure too. The block had no hunters for 10 weeks prior to us and none for at least a month after. They had their time. And like I say - they were not in good condition indicating overpopulation.

Sent from phone - forgive typos etc

To be fair mind you - if I had a freezer with Venison at the time I wouldn't of. I'm not about killing for the hell of it. Family is still enjoying the salami.

ballpark figure on cost from bluff to island block n back please....

We flew heli. It was $800pp return for 4 of us. Max load was 600kg.

GWH and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    ballpark figure on cost from bluff to island block n back please....
    All depends which block, ones up Paterson's inlet its the ferry trip $150 return (or there abouts) and maybe $30 for the watertaxi put to the block.

Another way for lany is to fly direct from invercargill, tjeu can land on masons bay, doughboy, west ruggedy and smokey beach's. Planes are either little Cherokee with 3 passengers or the islander with 9
    GWH and Micky Duck like this.

The $30 water taxi is going off the $25 return to ulva (will obviously depend on numbers of people/ gear / operator chosen and their other trips that are running. blocks at the head on the inlet (freshwater, phreds camp, rakiahua) will obviously be more.

Think they will go as far as yankee river if it is nice weather... nothing stopping a front coming through and they can't get us for a few days!
    Micky Duck likes this.

looked it up online and seems the watertaxi is a good service at reasonable price..130ish per head return and 50 a tub of gear 2 cubic meters minimum 3 people and maximum 2 tubs...dingy hire could be deal breaker as $45 per day for out board adds up...might just bring my own all the way down the road....

If bringing your own boat look into the other big boat operators as well...