Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Rats are pouring out of the bush in the top of the south !

Rats are pouring out of the bush in the top of the south !

The latest article in the paper has the top of the south Forest and Bird boss stating rats are pouring out of the bush and local birds and bats face extinctions.
    Its sad that people believe this BS . The richmond ranges and nelson Lakes rats are in huge numbers and pouring out of the bush shes stating. I hunt both, i still havnt seen one rat in the bush in both those places but clearly my eye sight is bad as i must be tripping over rats instead of old roots as it appears there are plaques of them lol.
    They want both areas 1080 in a big way and are moaning about they missed the cut this year to be bombed by the green rain.
    Forest and Bird are wan ers, 1080 doesnt solve the so called rat problem and 1080 will never get rid of rats .
    Only for a short period then there will be a huge spike in numbers again.
    Clearly theres no rat problem as bad as Forest and Bird is stating, but with them on the war path and the sheep in this country believing the BS that the pro 1080 media print i can see hunting in the top of the south sooner or later going to be stuffed . This area gets more than its fair share of the green rain over years.
    All ive seen in the bush is reduced birds in 1080 bombed areas, the disapperance of all kea and the Fallow herd of the Cobb rooted.

They should focus there efforts on spikie dogfish ...now that is a plague!
    Nil durum volenti !!

yea the way the story was presented the area must be like a sea of rats.......kinda like new south wales with cockroaches i remember looking at the footpath and it appeared to be moving there was so many............i think that sort of statement "rats pouring out of the bush " should be accompanied by video of it actually happening otherwise it shouldnt be believed

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    They should focus there efforts on spikie dogfish ...now that is a plague!
    And bloody wasps!
    Wirehunt, stingray, Pengy and 4 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Sadly it's Forest and Bird that have the rat problem.........from within.
    sako75, tetawa, stingray and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    And bloody wasps!
    Thats one thing in the top of the south that something good is happening. With the new wasp poison ive seen a great reduction in wasp numbers in many areas i hunt.
    Considering the top of the south was the king of wasps it was about time they did something as im sure the insects they ate had a huge effect on bird life, more than some out of control (mm bs) bird egg eating plaques of rats lol.
    Last couple of summers boning out a deer instead of fear of the deer being eaten by wasps and getting stung now i see stuff all and more flys. Still, i rather fight the flys of now instead of wasps

Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    Sadly it's Forest and Bird that have the rat problem.........from within.
    So true, they the leach that hang off DOC. pure waste of space
    H&K MAN and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Thats one thing in the top of the south that something good is happening. With the new wasp poison ive seen a great reduction in wasp numbers in many areas i hunt.
    Considering the top of the south was the king of wasps it was about time they did something as im sure the insects they ate had a huge effect on bird life, more than some out of control (mm bs) bird egg eating plaques of rats lol.
    Last couple of summers boning out a deer instead of fear of the deer being eaten by wasps and getting stung now i see stuff all and more flys. Still, i rather fight the flys of now instead of wasps
    Rotoiti is a success but mainly due to the residents efforts, popular spots and around huts have been done but in the bush say up Rotoroa in summer the buggers are everywhere.
    stingray and deer243 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

did you see Cam Speedy the other night talking about this issue????
    rather balanced programme on a whole...even they admitted 1080 is only a stop gap...it gives the population a whack but they come right back...the bit they fail to see/mention/document is when the 1080 whacks the rat population down...the mustilids dont just magically dissapear and it seems they are clever enough not to fall from secondary poisoning...my bro runs a trap line and after the last big 1080 drop he caught MORE mustilids than at any time before or since.... so if you remove the rats in a hurry------what do you think the wee stoaties and ferrets are going to eat???? thus the big drop in birdsong immediately after a drop.....maybe???
    wasps are a pain in many ways...we need a couple of big snow dumps to drown them in thier nests.

So true, they the leach that hang off DOC. pure waste of space
    They are the propaganda arm for DOC.
    tetawa likes this.

Banned
    The latest article in the paper has the top of the south Forest and Bird boss stating rats are pouring out of the bush and local birds and bats face extinctions.
    Its sad that people believe this BS . The richmond ranges and nelson Lakes rats are in huge numbers and pouring out of the bush shes stating. I hunt both, i still havnt seen one rat in the bush in both those places but clearly my eye sight is bad as i must be tripping over rats instead of old roots as it appears there are plaques of them lol.
    They want both areas 1080 in a big way and are moaning about they missed the cut this year to be bombed by the green rain.
    Forest and Bird are wan ers, 1080 doesnt solve the so called rat problem and 1080 will never get rid of rats .
    Only for a short period then there will be a huge spike in numbers again.
    Clearly theres no rat problem as bad as Forest and Bird is stating, but with them on the war path and the sheep in this country believing the BS that the pro 1080 media print i can see hunting in the top of the south sooner or later going to be stuffed . This area gets more than its fair share of the green rain over years.
    All ive seen in the bush is reduced birds in 1080 bombed areas, the disapperance of all kea and the Fallow herd of the Cobb rooted.
    You need to be more careful and less complacent deer243. This is Trailcam footage NW Nelson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv9CkjkOyzo
    tetawa, GravelBen, Pengy and 1 others like this.

Apparently it is a mega mast year....Thats amazing. It coincides with the frequency of Gun City winter sales......

.It was mega mast year last year, and from memory another one the year before that. Every year the mast and rodents get worse. and every year they dump more 1080 to fight it. Have they considered that the rats and rodents bounce back worse every year BECAUSE they are dumping bigger volumes of 1080. SO who is betting that NEXT year will be an even bigger mast year, because this year they are going all out and are going to use more 1080 that ever before????

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    You've got fluffy-tailed things like that (in the red dress) wandering around the bush in Nelson?
    They are call Tourists, I bet they wish that they had stuck to the marked track now

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Apparently it is a mega mast year....Thats amazing. It coincides with the frequency of Gun City winter sales......

.It was mega mast year last year, and from memory another one the year before that. Every year the mast and rodents get worse. and every year they dump more 1080 to fight it. Have they considered that the rats and rodents bounce back worse every year BECAUSE they are dumping bigger volumes of 1080. SO who is betting that NEXT year will be an even bigger mast year, because this year they are going all out and are going to use more 1080 that ever before????
    Simple, Possums eat the Beech buds and stress the trees, poison the Possums and you get more masting as trees recover same with Rata flowering. I have not seen big masting anywhere, despite reports for several years. You know when it is real because of the mouse fed trout. The Beech trees flower in October - did anyone see yellow or red flowering trees last spring ??
    Wirehunt, tetawa, H&K MAN and 1 others like this.

Moa Hunter likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1