Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By Bushline
  • 6 Post By Kelton
  • 1 Post By superdiver
  • 3 Post By Nighniz

Thread: recommendations on a private block in Waikato/BOP - training my pup

recommendations on a private block in Waikato/BOP - training my pup

hey team,

I have a young Vizsla and would like to get him onto some deer sooner rather than later - someone suggested paying to go on a block to ensure there are deer there.
    He started his hunting in the Kaimais this weekend and I was super happy with him but reinforcement on a private block might help him really dial in.

Might be an idea, so any recommendations in the Waikato/BOP area that don't cost a fortune - happy enough to pay for access or a hind fee etc really just want to help him get what his job is :-)

GWH
    Any private blocks ive been on, dogs are not permitted
    7mmsaum likes this.

There’s a guy in Whakatane, on trade me under Listing #: 2576127741 might be worth approaching
    Shadowsol likes this.

Might sound silly but I had lots of private when my dog was young and thought itd be a sure thing best way to train him but to be fair they all had to many deer and it was a hindrance for a young dog. I found his performance better on public land where the deer were scattered over large areas allowed him to hone in on a scent rather than that scent being everywhere .hes now an excellent dog 7 years old and has had countless animals indicating finding and all walks of birds but i still find he works better and is more useful when numbers are lower. I'd recommend lots of training at home and local parks and plenty more hunting in the kaimais best of luck mate
    tetawa, erniec, superdiver and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Might sound silly but I had lots of private when my dog was young and thought itd be a sure thing best way to train him but to be fair they all had to many deer and it was a hindrance for a young dog. I found his performance better on public land where the deer were scattered over large areas allowed him to hone in on a scent rather than that scent being everywhere .hes now an excellent dog 7 years old and has had countless animals indicating finding and all walks of birds but i still find he works better and is more useful when numbers are lower. I'd recommend lots of training at home and local parks and plenty more hunting in the kaimais best of luck mate
    Yeah was told the same thing by a friend who had trained a few dogs. Said if anything it is a hindrance as dog gets confused. Stick at it in the kaimais
    Shadowsol likes this.

Your dog will hunt no matter what it’s in their blood the best thing you can do is have control! A rock solid stop call is most important! Just keep going up the Kaimais there are plenty of deer up there and get to learn/read your dog! That’s all the fun and part of it there are no easy roots and good things take time!
    7mmwsm, erniec and Shadowsol like this.

Thanks for the feedback guys - the over saturation of sent on private blocks makes sense, thank you for that insight :-)