Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree29Likes
  • 2 Post By livingwild
  • 4 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 4 Post By Husky1600
  • 1 Post By Yesmate
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 8 Post By northdude
  • 2 Post By Husky1600
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: red deer advice please

red deer advice please

This morning around 7am I spooked a red in native bush close to my home. I was on a ridge, it was just below me and cought my scent with the cold air moving downwards. I found it's tracks and shit and a place I believe it must have bedded down I believe (see attached picks). It had urinated onto the possible bedding area which surprises me. Also the bush is not very thick there, I would have expected the bedding area in a less acsessible part of the bush.

What would you do? Give it a few days and come back?

Is there anything you can say from seeing the scat and hoofprints? I am a bow hunter and after meat, not trophies, so I dont really care if it is a buck or dow, this is just interest.

Generally I am looking for hunting buddies in the Golden Bay area. I have taken newbies hunting, but I haven't shot many deer and pigs myself and would love to learn from more experienced hunters.

Cheers!!

Name:  IMG_2923.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  4.04 MBName:  IMG_2921.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  2.80 MBName:  IMG_2927.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  3.24 MB
    Micky Duck and mimms2 like this.

Caretaker
    Young red stag

Go back in a few days

He’s silly enough that you will find him anywhere
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

If its close to other human activity then it may very well stay in the area. Keep going back, but pick your days, pick a day when you think deer will be active. Its a kinda 6th sense that you develop over time and one day you say "good day for a deer today" - go hunting. Its better to stay off the ridges when bush stalking, keep lower down and keep looking up. On the ridges, any movement you make can be seen. Have confidence in your own ability, and you will find it.

go back to the area in a day or 2,dont head for the same spot though Just use the wind and sign.reds don't bed down in the same spot as a habit.they live in an area and will bed down where ever they feel like.
    Its a spiker that you spooked.
    livingwild likes this.

Find a spot where you can watch the area from a distance.Dont go back walk close to the deers bedding area.Youl scent it all up with yr smelly boots and clothing.
    livingwild likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Spoked, as in, you stumbled on it? Or you were sneaking around, kinda knew it was there but he got on to you first?

Either way, more time out there and you'll find one again. Move less, look more. slow down, find your zen, and become one with the bush. Ommmmmmmmmmmm.
    I was on my way to go hunting, haha, not prepared to find a deer that close to my house. I hadn't seen any sign yet so hadn't found my zen yet ;-)

well NEXT TIME and EVERY TIME from here onwards you shall be ready as a ready thing from time you laceup your boots....let it be a lesson to you LOL
    you might have to talk Mrs into planting some swedes in corner of vege garden and entice it even closer.
    get wind direction right and go slower than a slow thing,look at everything and use binoculars to look THROUGH vegetation....
    livingwild likes this.

northdude
    it must be a smoker if it dropped its lighter. next time you go back follow the ciggie smell

Quote Originally Posted by livingwild View Post
    I was on my way to go hunting, haha, not prepared to find a deer that close to my house. I hadn't seen any sign yet so hadn't found my zen yet ;-)
    I've got about 6 reds living in the willows about 100 metres from my house, have been feeding within 20 metres of the harvester shed. Im waiting for the day I can shoot one from my lounge window and will do it just cos I can. That should put it about 30 metres to the killing shed. As Micky Duck said, always be ready, right from the moment you leave the vehicle or the house.
    Micky Duck and livingwild like this.

I have shot feral goats from bedroom window...easy dog tucker when our pet nannies brought "boyfriends home"...she wasnt impressed when onside of road and mate n I off to meat buyer with half load of goats,she had 8 big stinkies with her..mate n I out with .22lrs and took them all for trip into town too LOL.
    Carbine and Husky1600 like this.